I'm 44 and had a hysterectomy 17 months ago. Kept both ovaries but cervix was removed. For over a year now I've had regular periods. It's varied from a couple days spotting to a full blown period with bright red blood and occasionally clots. I use tampons and panty liners on a monthly basis. Some months the cramping is almost unbearable. I've had a history of endometriosis for about 15 years. On the last visit to my doctor we discussed there may be endometrial cells remaining inside the vaginal sleeve and this is what's bleeding every month. The options were to either deal with it or go on a menopause inducing hormone to kill off these cells. I'm not thrilled at all with the idea of being forced into an early menopause but these 'periods' are unbearable at times. Has anyone tried a six month course of induced menopause to stop this? I'm very concerned about the negative effects this would have on my sex life/drive. Any advice?

Dear guest, I feel so so relieved to know someone else shares my symptoms. I am 48. I have had both my ovaries retained because of two reasons . One, the ovaries were healthy as per the scan taken prior to the surgery and two, the surgeon couldn't access my ovaries during the laparoscopic procedure due to severe adhesions and endometriosis. Now the result of this is that I bleed every month- this ranges from a 2 day dark blood spotting to a full blown period with fresh blood accompanied by severe back pain and cramps. Went for a scan last week to realise I have 2 big chocolate cysts on both my ovaries. These are getting bigger every month because of the hormones secreted by the ovaries. The surgeon has ruled out another surgery because of the complicated first one. Hence the only option in front of me is to take hormonal progesterone injections - depo provera- to control my endo and reduce the cysts so that they dont burst inside me. But these have side effects which are mentioned aplenty on the net. For those who have periods after hysterectomy, I suggest get your scan done. Chocolate cysts seem to be the inevitable result of endo. I am so unhappy that my hysterectomy has left me with more problems than I began with. Has anyone taken these injections? What have been your experiences? Please share.