Hello. I'm 48 year old woman and I have one maybe a bit strange question. Over then 20 years ago my husband died in car accidence and since then-I had no other man.
Just recently I have met someone. I liked him a lot and somehow-we end up in bed together. We had several unprotected sexual intercourses and it was great but one thing is confusing me.
My period is now late for over then week and I'm afraid I could be pregnant. He told me that I'm crazy and that this could be only cause of entering my menopause period. You see, I have never experienced any symptom of menopause so I don’t know what to think. Please help!

Well, it could be really hard to help you because the both options are possible. As long as you are ovulating, no meter if you are in your 50s you are able to get pregnant. Also, to be “diagnosed” with menopause your menstrual period must be absent for whole 12 consecutive months. You should have known that during the time following what you think has been your last menstrual cycle; you should continue using birth control measures to avoid an unwanted menopause pregnancy.
I don’t know what other advice I could give you accept to use some home pregnancy test and determine are you pregnant or not. You must do it quickly because early diagnosis is crucial. Having a baby in your age could be very risky because of frequent abnormalities in babies born by older mothers.

yes, it is possible to stay pregnant if you are at the beginning of the menopause. if your period ends, that doesn't mean that your ovulation ends as well. Opposite. It continues and if you don't use a birth control pills or some other contraceptive, you can get pregnant easily. Also, you can get pregnant during a perimenopause. In that case, your menstrual cycle may become irregular, with your periods stopping and start again, which is normal. So, you should be careful and also observe the menopause symptoms, such are vaginal dryness during menopause, if you are sweating, etc. Observe, investigate and learn. 

would love to know the outcome since this post is old.
I am in the exact same position right now, although I have been having lots of signs of peri-menopause and my sexual encounter with the man I have been dating for several months was during a time of what appeared to be infertile mucus, a week before I expected my period --- waiting to take test number two. First one came out as NOT pregnant.

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE ANSWER AS WELL, I AM 53, HAVE HAD SOME MENOPAUSE SYMTOMS, INCLUDING NO PERIOD FOR SOME TIME NOW, BUT AFTER MEETING WHOM I THOUGHT WAS MR WONDERFUL, THEN HAVING A SEXUAL RELATIONSHIP, (HE IS A CREEP), NOW 4 WEEKS AFTER LAST SEX, I AM HAVING SYMTOMS OF PREGANCY... SWOLLEN SORE BREASTS, MORINGING SICKNESS, (ALL DAY) TIRED ALL THE TIME... PLEASE HELP

I would like to know the outcome to all of your situations. I am 46, and I am still waiting for my period to arrive. I took a pregancy test, and it said not pregnant, so could this just be the onset of menopause?

Am interested in outcome of other posts: I am a widow of 17 months of similar circumstances listed by others. No children ever (husband had a vasectomy just before our wedding 18 years ago) I have had no obvious symptoms of menopause yet, still very regular periods. I am late now by just days, should have started on Wednesday, it is now Friday. I have a short cycle, typically (21-23 days) and had unprotected sex on day # 5. My breasts are very sore, and I have had cramps (typical), right on time. But, no period yet. I'm now on day # 24. Any possibility that I could be pregnant? It would be a lifelong dream of mine if so (though it would be hard for alot of people to understand..) OR am I just beginning menopause and this is just the beginning of it? I still feel crampy, and breasts sore.. What else to look for? By the way, I am healthy, and active if it matters.. thanks..

I'm a woman of 49 and at the time I was 48 having unprotected sex with a man of 26. I have periods regular every month maybe 26-28 days they
only last 4 days in length though...I had a period the week of Nov 27-28th
and had sex the weekend of Dec 8th the following week I had mid-cycle bleeding on the 11th of Dec..that lasted a few days and was very light in color. That weekend we had unprotected sex 5 times the following weekend another 5 times the week after that around the Xmas holiday maybe 3 times no condom...I went to my doctor he gave ma an ultrasound on the 28th and saw blood in the uterus and he assumed that
my period would arrive in a few days...it is still missing in the interim I also experiened a bout of Sciatica and pre-menstrual syndrome at the same time...still no period it's been almost 2 weeks late..now what?

Experiencing night sweats every nite since first of year, and insomnia. (48 yrs old). Started to have unprotected sex with someone mid NOv, but he stopped before ejaculating. My last two periods were very heavy and within two weeks of each other....I think I missed my last one, but I'm not sure...a little concerned....I've been pregnant before, always experienced tender breasts, never had another period once pregnant, no morning sickness...tired, but have been working 50-60 hrs a week. Not experiencing any of these symptoms now....this would not be good

i would love to know whats happening to me too i am 47 and one year ago met a man who is 30 i have had unprotected sex since we met we are still together and my period is now late by 4 days my breasts are sore some foods are making me feel sick and i found my self crying for no reoson today could i be pregnant ?

I am 55 years old and have not had a periord for 1 year and 1 month. I had the blood test that said I was in perimenopause. Can I still get preganant?

I am 48 and recently had unprotected sex with a 30 year old.  I know it has only been a week but I have been feeling very nauseated after I eat and yesterday morning (after I had my breakfast a few hours earlier) was very hungry and felt nauseated.  I quickly ate something and it went away.  I never had morning sickness with my other 3 children ( except about midnight once in awhile).  I am going through menopause  now, have been for a while.  The longest I went without a period was 5 months, then it started regularly for 5 months.  The last one lasted about a month and I have not had one since (it has been about 2 months)  I should be getting one now, I think.  I have had a lot of stress in my life the last year.  My oldest son passed away in September after a year of being in and out of the hospital.  The 30 year old was an ex-boyfriend that was comforting me after his death.  I don't know if pregnancy signs would be so early.  Even with my son's passing almost a month ago I have not felt nauseated. It has only been a week!

this is me , I want to know could I be pregancy

Ladies,

I would just like to say don't pass any of this off as menopause. In 2010, I also thought I was going through menopause. I was 45 at the time. Never missed periods, but had some symptoms...ie, hot flashes, heavy periods, etc... My fiance' was 5 yrs younger. Well here it is 2012, and I have a beautiful 16 month old daughter! My husband ( then fiance') and I were flabbergasted! I had 3 adult children and a grandchild and here I was starting all over again. Well I can tell you she is the absolute joy of my life! After 3 boys, I finally have a girl. Anyway, my message is, if your still ovulating you can get pregnant. Good luck to all of you. And by all means get into a doctor as soon as possible because having a baby this late in life is a risk. Thank god, my little princess was perfectly healthy!

If you are not having periods then you are not ovulating so you cannot get pregnant... hope this helps!