My mother was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer in her bones more than 6 years ago (after being in remission from the original cancer for almost 5 years). It was first found in her hip, but it's also in her skull and spine, and several other places. She's been on different medications and treatments, including oral chemo, and now injection chemo for the past few months. I don't know all the details about her condition and treatment, but apparently radiation therapy is looming. It's hard for me to know how precarious her situation is, except that she's already lived quite a long time with this painful terminal illness (longer than originally expected, I think). I also have a hard time telling how bad it is, because besides the pain & fatigue, there are few indications of how she really is doing. So my question is, could someone please help me get a better idea of how much longer she might live. I know it varies case by case, and it can get worse at any time, but how can I know whether she's got months, or years (2? 4?). Sorry this was so long, but please help me have a better idea of how long she might have. Thanks a lot.

Im very sorry to hear about what you and your mom is going through right now...Its really hard to say how much longer she may have....The doctors could say she has a month or two and actually live for many more years....Ive seen a couple people live with cancer for as many as 20 years...It just all depends...The only thing that you could do right now, is give your mom the comfort and support that she needs, spend as much time with her as you can for no one really knows how long she has....The doctors can only guess, they really dont even know sometimes.....Just always keep your head up and let her know that you are there for her...Wish you the very best!!!

I understand exactly what you are going through. I have the same situation with my mom. The doctors said 4-6 months. They are only guessing. It depends how fast everything is growing. She was diagnosed around 02/12/07. We went to the Mayo Clinic and they did radiation treatment 7X and then stopped because they said she was too weak. They said she was too weak for chemo and basically told us to see a doctor in our home town. Basically wrote us off. I did find a doctor out here and I am hoping for someone willing to try to do something. My mother doesn't want to give up. Please keep me informed on how things are going for you. Good luck to you. Going through this with someone you love so much is a great challenge.