I had a total thyroidectomy 2/08. I am currently on 175mcg of synthyroid, TSH 3.6, my doctor wants me to be a bit under normal. I feel both affects of hypo and hyperthyroidism...

What's the difference between synthroid and armour? and why would my doctor put me on a specific one?

I've also heard something about asking for a supplemental T3, how would that help?

Synthroid is a synthetic form of thyroid (man-made) and provides T4 cells, with the expectation that your body will convert some of the T4 to the T3 cells your body also needs. Armour is a natural form of thyroid (made from dessicated pig thyroid) and provides both T4 AND T3 cells. If you continue searching the web--you'll find information from people who have been on both forms and what they experienced. I am currently on Synthroid (for 6 years) and am planning to switch to Armour.

I am 8 year post Thyroidectomy and started out on the synthetic hormone replacement after surgery I took it for about a year but was still symptomatic so my endo put me on the Armor, 120mg every day. I think it works much better and I have been relatively symptom free ever since. I highly recommend giving it a try if you aren't happy with the synthroid.