It has been 3 weeks since my total thyroidectomy and i feel horrible. To start with i am weak, bloated , gassy yes terrible time finding something to eat that will sit right. My skin before was dry, but the itchiness i feel is just crazy, i have cramps everywhere, i am very depressed , have hot flashes, one day i will get up and be okay others i can't get motivated for anything. Please someone help me understand that i am not alone. my scars scab is still on. Have some sort of glue like tape on outer scar and it is still on and won't fall off. Please help

Hi Glenda,

You may be having an alergic reaction to your thyroid medication. You sound like me after my thyroidectomy. Food still doesn't sit right with me. There are many thyroid medications available. The mose common is synthroid which is just T4. There are natural and synthetic thyroid replacements that contain Both T3 and T4 which can make a big difference in your energy level. Calcium suppliments and high calcium food like dairy can cause hot and cold flashes as well as muscle cramps and intestinal issues. Calcium? Too much of a good thing... A good doctor will listen to you concerns and will work with you to find a thyroid medicaiton that works with your body. If your doctor does not take your concerns seriously then please find a new doctor. You have a life long medical condition and you deserve to feel as good as possible. It may take time. I recommend doing your own research thyroid/parathyroid research and looking up Armor thyroid natural hormone replacement therapy from pig glandular.

All my best
Rachel

Hi I am a first time user and need some advice. I live in Australia and had a total thyroidectomy 29th March 2010. I had papillary cancer. I had radioactive iodine treatment in July 2010. I was a fit, active and competive master athlete training up to 5 days a week or more depending on comps. Mother and wife. (3 teenagers)

Now, sadly I lack motivation,have fluid retention,feel the heat, major hair loss ( over half). dry skin, fatigue- if I even attempt to exercise I must have 2-4 hours sleep straight after, can't get enough sleep, so tired at end of day I need to go to bed early only to find I am wide awake! Foggy brain have put on over 13 kgs. I have to plan my day to cope with my fatigue at work I end up slurring my words and must concentrate so hard just to get through the day.

I have attempted to loose the weight 8.5 weeks @ 1200-1500 cals per day. 2 kgs only lost. So frustrated !

Now, Dr's:- bloods all perfect everything is in the "normal range" so "cant be my meds." I started on 150mg thyroxine per day but reduced to 150mg x 3 days and 100mg x 4 days!!!

So many others seem to have the same issues, hard to find a dr who will listen to me and NOT my blood results.

Hi jecbell..im from oz to i have just had surgery yo move mine. Im very curious on how you feeling now. I was the sahaf all ur dymptoms after surgery..thought i was supose to get better.

HI Glenda,

I would recommend you Google "Stop the Thyroid madness" They have a book that you can order, print on demand in bookstores.  It is a wealth of information. It is a patient to patient guide and also there are on-line support groups. We are not alone :-)

Praying for your health
Rachel