My husband had a vasectomy almost 5 years ago and I haven't even thought about having another baby. We have two girls. With my last cycle everything was normal and within range. I would get my usual PMS symptoms, bloating, extreme cramping, and lots of bleeding. About 2 and a half weeks later I spotted, only when I wipe would I see bright red blood, almost pink. I thought this was abnormal, but I remember this has happened before on a rare occasion or two. About a week later I started cramping and it was like I had with my period. I waited for the bleeding to start, but was suprized to find only a small amount of bleeding. Usually it would last a full 5 days, this time it was spotting for two days, and a very light flow on one day. This bleeding was also a week earlier than my period was supposed to start.
Since after the spotting I've also become very fatigued. The bloating never went away like it normally would, my boobs were still swollen, and actually became very sore.  I noticed that my sense of smell was increasing by day and then I started getting very hungry. Normally I never get hungry, I get nauseaus and a headache. I would get hungry about 9 times a day. I also started getting constipated, heartburn, stuffy nose and sore throat. With the extreme hunger, almost every hour, I was finding it more difficult to eat. I had to eat food with the least amount of flavour or it would make my stomach turn. There are also nipple changes, they have gotten bigger and puffed out, I also think they are darker. There's also a light brown line on my abdomen that I know wasn't there about two months ago. I have photographic proof!
I did a home pregnancy test 19 and 22 days after what I think was my days after ovulation. They were both negative. Could I really be having something other than pregnancy?
I'm 29 and can't be menopausal!

And I'm also extremely thirsty!

What was the outcome of this - were you pregnant? Everything that you have described is the same as what happened to me. My partner has also had a vasectomy. I was 3 weeks late with many pregnancy symptoms. I took a test after being 2 weeks late but it was negative. I later experienced a very strange and heavy period unlike anything I've experienced before. I'm concerned because I don't know if I was pregnant, or if it is even possible to get pregnant after a vasectomy.

I went to the doctor, and he said I have an enlarged uterus and thickened lining. Have no clue what that means. Still waiting for other test results. I will update when I know what's going on.

The doctor teste my urine and found sugar and protein in it, among other things. Have an infection I don't feel. Tested blood sugar levels - normal. Strangely enough, I had this very same thing with a previous pregnancy. Yet he couldn't see a fetus. I'm wondering if a cluster of growths can hide a fetus?

AllieS wrote:

Anige1 wrote:

I'm 29 and can't be menopausal!

Allie S. it's quite possible that you were pregnant, but your hcg levels were too low to be detected by a test. So, they may also have been too low to sustain a pregnancy and the bleeding you described might have been a miscarriage. I went through this many times in years past due to low hcg (luteal phase insufficiency). Has your partner's sperm count been tested? If so, he may need to be retested. You don't mention your age, but another possible explanation is the beginning of menapause which can start slowly over a few years. Take care.

Someone please reply, I have missed 7 periods and have always been regular. I have been with my partner 8 mos. He had a vasectomy many years ago. I am at Menopause age 50 but now feel and look pregnant. I have not gained much weight but only a few pounds so tummy is all that is bigger and round. I have all the typical symptoms of the second trimester. I can feel movement. He and I had not been in a relationship with no other for many years. He states that his vasectomy could not have failed because he had the scalpel type where they take out a section of the tubes. He does not think it is possible but feels very real to me. Has anyone heard of a failure with this type of procedure? 

Hi, I have to say I think it's unlikely that you are pregnant. Many menopausal symptoms can be very similar to pregnancy, as both cause hormonal changes. If your 7 missed periods were due to pregnancy I think you would be in no doubt by this point. Have you seen a doctor? That is probably the wisest thing to do.

Thanks for the reply, I am going to take a home test to start with and take it from there. I am leaning more towards Menopause (due to the fact that my partner has had a Vasectomy) though I have not had the classic Menopause symptoms. I do remember feeling movement such as this with my pregnancy many years ago.. I have been feeling this almost 3 weeks now. It started very vague but is much more noticeable now. I had heard of rare situations where Vasectomies can fail so was wondering if there are others out there which may had experienced a failure. I would think it would be quite a story if this would be true in my case so I will post new info. as I find out what this is. Yes, a check up is in order regardless.

Yes it is possible for a vasectomy to reverse itself (though extremely rare) even with the "burning" of the tubes.

It's Anige!, just wanted to come back and let everyone one know I wasn't pregnant. I have no explanation for this, but as soon as I decided to stop thinking about my symptoms, it all disappeared.