Hello. I am a woman of 45 years and I believe I have entered a perimenapause. I know this because I am noticing changes in my behavior, and my mental ability like concentrating or remembering. Anyway I have been experiencing strange things about my period. Sometimes, I would miss a period, but sometimes I would experience a heavy period or even bleeding between periods. How common is this?

Well, even though irregular periods are common and normal during perimenopause, not all changes in bleeding are from perimenopause. There are conditions that can cause bleedings and it should be checked by a gynecologist. If you are experiencing any of the following changes ( and you said you did ): the bleeding is very heavy or comes with clots, the bleeding lasts longer than 7 days, you have spotting or bleeding between periods and you're bleeding from the vagina after sex, I would advice you to have that checked! Just to be on the safe side!

mae wrote:

ahh me too, i just turned 45 on August 3rd of this month, and i have So far skipped my period this month. Since last november it was coming a week early and bleeding for 10 days, now it just stopped. and i am really fustrated as i did not want to enter it at this age, but was hoping to at a later age in life like after 50. So now i will be aging faster as our period is what keeps us young and sexually active.

I'm 43 years old and have missed my period for 3 months. I feel ok. It seems to me that I am more calme now than when i had my period. I feel like I don't care about anything not even how people feel. Is this normal

I just turned 45 in Jan. 2013.  I have missed my period for two months now and seems like overnight i got a big belly and started having hot flashes.  The hot flashes lasted only about two weeks and are now gone.  I don't have pms anymore...so, just wondering if this is menopause.   I also have had symptoms of pregnancy.  nauseous when i wake and during the day, tender breast, weight gain.  But, took three test and all neg.   I thought it was weird the hot flashes started and ended so quickly.  Any Ideas?

OMG, the SAME EXACT thing happened to me, that is why I am on here.  Please let me know if you find out why ;)  I just turned 45 on Feb 9 2013.  Thanks!

very simular too which is why I am looking too. I have suffered from heavy clots for a couple of years and doctor not bothered nor sent for tests. last September I felt sick and lost a bit of weight and given medication for an ulcer and now.... missed last 2 periods completely, bloated up, dragging period pains and have the munches, tender breast etc for 3 weeks out of 4 then I feel fine for a week. Not had any of the usuall mood swings, got all sorts of normal life stresses and am just taking in my stride without a worry.... Is it the menapause ? if you go to the doctor do the do blood tests ? I am starting to worry if could be more wrong.

I'm 45 as well, I also have a late period, took a pregnancy test (will take another in a few days-just in case) but the test was negative.  About five months ago, I had really bad PMS with nausea and vomiting with two alternating periods (One bad period, a normal period, a bad period).  I had felt very exhausted, like I was winding down. Now I wake up early, sweating at night, and irritable back pain (tipped uterus or too much gardening?)  The prior period was light but long, the period before heavy and lasted about 4 days.  Have looked for others experiencing similar symptoms, just as documentation. I did see my doc, and got checked out to see if I was healthy and how healthy my parts were.  I had a little D3 deficiency, and that was all.   Friends say have a sense of humor*U*, but sometimes I feel like I'm the crazy train!  I did see that caffeine, smoking, alcohol has caused some premature perimenopause, and I'm blaming it on the caffeine!  Meditation is key, as well as a strong diet in calcium, magnesium, and D3.  Heat flashes=power surges. 

Same thing for me. Ill be 45 next month. Super long periods for the last year (9 to 12 days) and now nothing. I'm really late. Weird or normal?

Hello, I am also soon to be 45(August),and for the last two years I have had irregular periods. I could be 10 days late,or I could have 2 periods in a row(3 day interval)and now for the first time I am a month late(took pregnancy test,seems to be negative)I am pretty stressed out,everybody seems to say it's premenapausalI hope so.My husband has had a vasectomy(about 10 years ago),and also had agressive chemotherapy for cancer(2 and a half years ago),so the chances of being pregnant are extrememly rare,but just the same,very stressful.I'm hoping I'm stressed for nothing.Anybody else in this situation?

Just wondering if you started your period.As I said in my post below,I have missed 1 period and due for my next(if I'm on time)in a couple of days.Not many symptoms of my period starting though.I did take 2 pregnancy tests just to be sure(my husband has had a vasectomy and also chemo for cancer)just wanted to be sure.I'm also going to be 45 in August. Louise

Hi, just wanted to add my experience. I turned 48 in April, I missed a couple of periods last year, and am now over two weeks late this month. I am guessing it could be the start of perimenapause. I seem to have high anxiety, and feel more much more tired than usual. My noticed my skin and hair is a lot drier, and I have been experiencing nausea. I am thinking of asking my doctor for a blood test, to see if they can check. Can anybody tell me is there normal for someone of my age? Many thanks....

I am in the same boat as you - and in searching around found this post. Did you discover a solution from your doctor since you posted this?

Hi I'm 47, missed 2 periods, awake at odd times to go loo, slight night sweats, tears

Hi. I just turned 45 missed my period and worried . I experience some spotting that lasted 3 days followed by morning sickness, bloating lost of appetite but gain weight, light head, and emotionally drained. I got blood work done everything came back negative. I will check again in one week . I went for sonogram awaiting results .I'm losing sleep wondering and over thinking the worst. I have had regular periods I eat healthy before this slept well and I exercise 4 days in a week. Looking for some peace of mind all this is draining my heart mind and soul