I am 38 yrs old, just found out I am pregnant & my husband had a vasectomy 5 yrs ago. I know when I ovulated & when this could have happened--we were on a cruise.I have not cheated on him!! How is this possible?

Hi hon: I will tell you a true story about a friend of mine. He and his wife had 3 children, they didn't want anymore so he had a vasectomy, WHAM she became pregnant! So after their 4th child she had a tubal ligation, WHAM she became pregnant! I SWEAR as God is my witness this is true.

Did you know that women who had a hysterctomy - but had their ovaries left - can still get pregnant? If you are having sex, and you have even 1 ovary you can still get pregnant. The ONLY way is not having sex!!!

A vasectomy now a days is pretty dead on, in the last year or 2, many urologists have been sued because of unwanted pregnancies after a vasectomy. So now they tOTALLY make sure the job is done, they cut it, they cortorize it, they tie it in a bow!!! ;-) XD They do whatever it takes so they don't become liable anymore.

So you are DEFINITELY not alone with this look o.O - ;-) Just joking with you to help you relax and understand about it! How do you both feel about this little miracle? Just tell your husband he has VERY strong boys!!! A sperm will stop at nothing - even surgery - to get to the egg. And a fertilized egg only needs some sort of a blood source. It doesn't need a womb!! It is absolutely INCREDIBLE what lengths they will go too to create life!!!

Hopefully your husband totally believes in you and your faithfullness, and just to make sure, you can pull up many stats about babys born after surgery. I just found the below quote from the Male Health Center

Vasectomy is simpler, safer, cheaper and takes less time to recover from than tubal ligation. Their failure rates are just about the same: 1 in 2,000.

So if you consider the above quote, and the fact that - in the USA - there are 500,000 vasectomies each year! That means there are 250 couples - just like you that look like this o.O each year!!! Not a lot, but still there ARE others out there going through what you both are. Below is the stats on Tubal ligations

How Well It Works
Tubal ligation and tubal implants are not 100% effective at preventing pregnancy.

Tubal ligation
There is a slight risk of becoming pregnant after tubal ligation. This happens to about 5 per 1,000 women after 1 year. After a total of 10 years following tubal ligation, about 18 per 1,000 women will have become pregnant.2
Pregnancy may occur if:
The tubes grow back together or a new passage forms (recanalization) that allows an egg to be fertilized by sperm. Your health professional can discuss which method of ligation is more effective for preventing tubes from growing back together.
The surgery was not done correctly.
You were pregnant at the time of surgery.

I hope this helps you a bit to understand that either operation is not 100% JUST as my friend found out!! Now that WAS a miracle!!!! Good luck hon!

I am sure that you did not cheat on your husband! It's just that unfortunately that even vasectomies can be an imperfect form of birth control so you unfortunately have conceived despite not wanting to. I think it's best that you sit down with your husband and maybe your doctor so that your doctor can explain it to him that you did not cheat.

You are not alone. My husband had a vasectomy 10 yrs ago when our youngest was born and I am now 4 mts pg. He was devasted, I must have cheated and so on and home life was miserable. Divorce papers were filled out and he wasn't going to deal with another mans baby. Luckily, he went and got tested and had swimmers. Was still in shock but went last week to be fixed again. The head Urologist did this one, found what happened and assured hubby this couldn't happen again. But we spent the first 3 months not knowing and having so much stress that it did hurt our marriage. I only hope that he can accept this baby. He's deploying 2 months before my due date and that only adds to the stress. I feel for you but am so glad that your husband isn't worried about you cheating.

I wish you luck

And I wish you luck hon!!!!! I don't think that there is too much talk about the failure rate, I think that is SO upsetting for all the people that vasectomies and Tubal ligations fail for. And your husbands reaction is NORMAL, even though hurtful. I'm a great believer it what is supposed too be will be. I hope you will be fine and your husband comes home safely and more understanding. Good luck hon!

My boyfriend and i have been together for quite a while and wont to get pregnant. The only problem is that he has had a vasectomy... It is out of our price range right now to have it reversed. I wish that we were one of those couples..

i wish i was one of those couples too. my partner and i would like a another baby but again the operation is out of our price range :-(( u ladies that fall pregnant r very lucky :-)

Thankyou both for your input on this! There is ALWAYS 2 sides to each dilemma! My male friends whom have had Vasectomies, and my girlfriends whom have had Tubals I say to them "you HAVE to be 100% sure that you will NEVER EVER EVER want another baby!" Because even though sometimes it doesn't work - as in the 2 ladies on here! Most of the time it works and that's it! Even expensive reversals are NOT guaranteeable that they will work! It depends on how long ago you had the procedure, your age, your health etc. etc.

What I WILL say to both of you ladies, and I'm sure you have heard this enough from friends and family, BUT there are thousands and thousands of children out there who are desperate for a family! Granted they CAN come with some challenges, but so can babies! It doesn't take a sperm and an egg to BE parents! IT takes only one organ and 2 limbs, the heart and arms! 1 to love with, and 2 to hug with! Good health to both of you!

Hello, the chances of becoming pregnant after your partner has had a vasectomy is about 1 in 2000. Check out info on vasectomys on NHS website.

8-| my husband had a vasectomy about 1yr and a half ago *feb2008) and can i possibly still get pregnant?

The only way to find out is to have his ejaculate tested. IF there are swimmers again you can! IF there aren't that means that the operation was done correctly and there are no viable sperm! Good luck and health honey!

I am in the same position as some. Me and my husband would like to have a child together but unfortunately he has a vasectomy 10 years ago before we met and got married. The vasectomy reversal is out of our price range also. I see the point that there are alot of childeren that could be adopted but if you look into that it is also very expensive. :-|

Something thought as SO simple and FREE, can sometimes turn out to be one of the most complicated and expensive - financially, emotionally - events in a persons life! You think about conception and you think "Egg, Sperm = no problem!" But life takes over and decisions are made (either by us or for us) and then that "easy" equation is taken out of THE equation!

Yours is not an easy answer, there has to be viable sperm - which is also expensive to test! then if there is, you would need to go through invitro - also expensive! Depending on where you live, you CAN foster and then over a period of time be able to adopt! BUT that is a hard job to do and also can be very heartbreaking! I have known many people who foster and it is HARD and honorable!

There are no simple answers or reasonable answers! Some insurance companies DO cover Invitro - but those are few and far between! It is so hard to "END" something, because when you are doing this, you actually think "This IS it!" You don't know what is around the corner! Have you looked into an open adoption, or a adoption of an older child - sometimes these are FAR more reasonable than the norm!

I wish you and your husband LUCK and health! And I hope that somehow your dreams come true! God Bless!

I am so understanding everyone here! I also am in that same dilema. My husband says he had a vesactomy 5 years ago and its a great possibility I am pregnant! I am too scared to take a test and Im just like this cant be! I also have a fibroid tumor! I want to look at this as a miracle and gift from God! He is very suspicious and God knows I love my husband and would never do anything to harm our marraige I am very scared!

Please dont believe in the permanent nature of vasectomies and tubals.  The only real way to prevent having children is no sex.  Urologists across the globe only emphasize the good with them and the plane truth is that they are not as reliable as people think. Always understand that if you are sexually active its always possible to get pregant no matter what the "experts" say.