Hi. My 12 yo daughter was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. She suffers from a tingling pain, fatigue, dizziness and she feels very weak. I doubt that she has MS anyway and would like to know how the diagnosis should be made? And on what base?

Hi. The symptoms seem to be clear, but there are some conditions that can mimic MS, such as Lyme disease, Sjogren`s syndrome, even Vitamin B12 deficiency. So, it is important to exclude other diseases that can mimic MS. The diagnosis should be made by a physician with experience, and it should be based on objective evidence. Magnetic resonance imaging with gadolinium contrast can be helpful and a second magnetic resonance scan may also be useful. No test is totally reliable and there are many diseases that can imitate MS, so the diagnosis depends on clinical features. A diagnostic error is possible, but still you can`t exclude the diagnosis of MS so easily.

I'v had ms for about 15 years. I was surprised when you said your daughter was "12" and they were talking about her having ms. I would be skeptical. The symptoms seem to line up, but that would be an early onset in my opinion. Keep looking! MS is diagnosed primarily through spinal tap, and brain mri's

hi, also another test done by a neurologist would be a lumbar puncture, evoke potentials. neuro exam, ect.

i am sorry your child has been diagnosed..i been diagnosed over 2 years ago

its not fun. i hope she/he doesnt have ms

april

Hi, I'm 18 and I have M.S., I was diagnosed when I was 13 years old. Almost like your daughter. AND I still doubt that I have MS. Test that verify the diagosis are: MRIs (lesions), lumbar puncture (spinal cord damage), and the regular walking, motor skill tests the doctors do. BUT I read this article about a chemical put into alot of gums, and diet foods called "Aspartame", that cause M.S. Symptoms. This chemical is responsible for many misdiagnosis of multiple sclerosis, it causes fatigue, tingly feeling in the legs...basically your typical M.S. symptoms. My english teacher and I were talking, and she told me she was almost diagnosed with M.S., but later learned about this, and quit drinking Diet Coke, and her symptoms disappeared. Aspartame is found in a lot of gums, diet sodas, SPLENDA <---big time. I suggest you do a little research on it yourself. Good luck, and hoepfully this was another misdiagnosis!

;-)

[i reresent a family of 4 siblings,3 used Accutane, an acne med. while teenagers. All 3 have confirmed MS. The 4th/non user does not. Is there a know link??