Hi, I was prescribed to take progesterone for PCOS, but I don’t really want to interfere in hormone balance in my body. Should I start this therapy or look for some other treatment option?

Hi, I have been treating PCOS with progesterone for a few months, but then my doctor decided to add glucophage to my therapy, as I was insulin resistant and overweight. PCOS is a condition characterized by multiple cysts on the ovaries and this results in anovulation (lack of ovulation) and menstrual abnormalities. As hormones are unbalanced, there is increased level of testosteron leading to hirissutism (facial hair), male pattern baldness, acne. Insulin resistance and Type II diabetes are common seen as well. The condition is related to unhealthy lipid patterns (usually high triglycerides), and a low bone density