Hi, I suffer from polycystic ovarian symptom, the same condition that my mother and sister have. I am 30 years old, and I would like to know what are my chances of getting pregnant?

Hi, I knew that there was something wrong with me, because I started having unwanted hair on of my body, pimples, irregular periods and weight gain. I went to gynecologist, and she diagnosed me with polycystic ovarian syndrome. She said that my eggs can’t be released from the ovaries, which causes testosterone increasing. It scared me because I wanted to get pregnant eventually, but without ovulation, it was impossible. She also said that polycystic ovarian symptom can and should be treated because it can lead to infertility. She prescribed me some contraceptive pills to make my hormones balanced again. This treatment was helpful, and my symptoms of polycystic ovarian symptom started retreating. My periods became regular, I lost some weight and the pimples were gone. My chances for pregnancy were normal again, and it was most important thing for me.

Hi, My doctor said I might have polysystic ovarian syndrom, because of irregular periods. On the other hand, I'm not obese and don't have too much body hair. Nevertheless, I followed my doctor's advice and gave my ovaries "a break": took birth control pills for three years. After I stopped taking pills, I immediately got pregnant. But .. my baby didn't survive and I had a miscarriage. Now I'm reading that this desease can not only be a cause of infirtility, but also causes multiple miscarriages. I' m not a doctor, but I think all women that were diagnosed with such desease should be escpecially careful during the long-awaited pregnancy: no medications, no alcohol, no mastrubation, healthy PCOS diet, resonable excersice, and start taking those pre-natal vitamins as soon as possible.

I was diag with pcos nearly 10 years ago when I was 17. I suffered from all the signs obese, high blood pressure extra hair and the bvious loss of and very heavy painful periods. No pain killers would work. I carried on everytime taking time off work or just trying to ignor. 3 years ago after getting through 40 always nightime in 2hrs and feeling as if i was in labour my gyn dr did an dnc and ovarian diathermy. the pain went for a few months but gradually increased. last year 2006 my sister was also diagno her dr recommended magnesium and 1 aspirin a day I started this straight away. from that day yes my periods have been late but, not heavy and def not painful and my skin did not get greasy so no acne. so if any1 suffers with pcos i would try 1 asprin a day and 1 manesium tab a day and see if it works for you. Now my next challenge is to have a babby and because the aspirin thins the lining of the womb the drs say it is now 50 50 where it was 95 against.

Hi guys I am a bit concerned that all your docs have just been prescribing you birth control and other medications etc. without actually informing you about the major issue which centres around pcos, and that is insulin resistance. I don't know what causes insulin resistance it is probably something to do with diet, but I do know that raised levels of insulin contribute to pcos i.e. they are a leading cause of the condition. High levels of insulin in the blood are now thought to over-stimulate the ovaries causing them to basically malfunction and stop producing eggs (or in my case, not to produce eggs at all until I was 16).

I have only ever had two of my own periods, starting when I was 16, and I was always quite chubby. To add to this I was obsessed with sweet food and fruit juice, and up until last year I was still having what I called 'sugar binges'. These were because of the unstable insulin levels in my blood. I have been diagnosed with pcos and been on the pill for 5 years, but I continued to have weight problems and the most painful acne you have ever experienced, that was the worst of my problems.

Since 2005 I have been experimenting with the GI diet, and now live by it religiously. It discourages you from eating and drinking things that cause your blood sugar to spike over a couple of hours rather than rising and decreasing gradually over three or four hours. Main baddies are white pasta, white potatoes and the worst ones of them all, fruit juice and white bread! You may think they are healthy, but your pancreas wouldn't agree with you and it makes pcos worse!! All I can say is that I used to be a UK size 12 and now I am an 8 (not sure what US size that is sorry, I think a US 6 is a UK 10). I am still on the Pill and I don't know whether I will be able to have my own periods when I come off it but I will try and get my GP to put me on Metformin for the insulin and Clomid for ovulation if all else fails. A brilliant recommendation for ovulation and prevention of miscarriage is Agnus Castus, as it regulates all your hormones, and I have also heard that both Selenium and Chromium are good for pcos too.

Remember, knowledge is power - find out what your LH hormone levels are doing, find out what your insulin levels are, and get on the GI diet or something like it if you can. Treat yourself as a diabetic - get exercise, get rid of simple carbs and get rid of sugar! :-)

hi!

i just found this forum and was blown away!
i live in canada, and my teen was just diagnosed with pos. all the doc said was slim chance 4 kids, loose weight, and go on the pill.

soo my question is...is this curable or managable? i was told hormone therapy will help.

my daughter doesn`t want kids..but she is 17 1/2 lol !! so thats not too much of an issue. i`m just worried about her general health.

she doesn`t have the hair issue, but defenalty weight, no periods, heavy flow, wicked cramps. and both her and i have a sweet addiction..lolz !!!

anyway..any thoughts would be great!!!!

thanks, guys

Hi, i have just been told that there are several cysts in my right ovary and two blod-filled cysts in the left one...i have frequent urination, bloating in the abdomen and acne, but my periods are very regular, but have become more painful and heavier lately.

my doc said to do another ultrasound in month's time to see if the cysts are still there. however i am trying to get pregnant. so my question is - is this pcos? and is it making it difficult to conceive? and what treatment is available to help me conceive?

thank you very much...

To the women out there that have done the research after being diagnosed with PCOS, and still asking questions. I have PCOS and Hashimotos disease. So having both really hurts me to have children. I swear at times it is the equalivant to having Aids. Granted Hashimotos is an autoimmune disease. I usually have 2 periods a year. Now as a teen i loved it, it never slowed me down. But now being married and wanting children I am so upset they don't have other options for me. Now I have two problems, so my chances of pregnancy and have a safe pregnancy is slim to none. However there is a treatment for those wanting to conceive and they have PCOS. My doctor has been talking about it to me, cause with this treatment and keeping a sharp eye on my thyroid(hashimotos) I could have kids. What the treatment is, a strict diet, try to get in your normal weight range. I take Metformin(used for insulin though I am not a diabetic) to help with my cycsts. Next step after loosing the weight, is there is a surgery. Called ovarian drilling. My doctor had it and two months later concieved her first child. They stick a drill in your belly button, and move to your ovaries where the cycsts are and drill them off. Sometimes they don't come back ever. But though it is a more advasive way to get rid of them. Think of it like your tonsils. If you continue to get tonsilatis, and swelling, you have them removed, and most often the problem is gone, with the exception of few(myself) where the tonsils grow back. Sometimes your body can not rid the problem on its own and meds don't work, manual removal may be key.

i was diagnosed with pcos when i was like 16 i think... not that long ago... i'm only 18 now... it's really hard knowing my chances of ever being a healthy mom are slim... i have eggs sure... but i've been told that if i do get pregnant i will have diabetes. during and probably after. giving up sugar is that hardest thing for me though. i've been overly addicted to sweets since i was the you depressed kid who ate too much... surprisingly enough i am not obese or even that fat... i have those annoying love handles but i think most of humanity does anyway... i do have abnormal hair growth and high insulin... my doc told me no more sugar... it's been two years and i'm finding it difficult to give it up... i really don't know what to do... i adore sweets... and yet i love life...

hi i was diagnosed with pcos in October last year, my symptoms are weight problems and a bit of unwanted hair growth, i had a scan to check for polyps on ovaries bt there wast any, i have a period every month, don't have addiction to sweets or anything like that so i am very confused i know every1s symptoms are different but have not really had a lot explained to me by docs, my main problem is wanting a baby and not knowing if this is possible i have 1 child that i conceived normally even to it took me a year to get cough but that was 7 years ago and nothing has happened 4 me since, any info would be great

:-( I'm 14 years old and i just got diagnosed with p.c.o.s. i don't know how to feel but to fell scared and sad...i want to have kids when i get older but it seems the possibilities are few low. I'm scared because I am so young and i didn't think this would happened to me. I knew there was a chance of me having p.c.o.s. because my mom and sister both had it. my mom has gotten read of hers but my sister has been living with hers for five years and now we believe she won't be able to have kids. i do not want this to happen to me. why did this have to happen to me, I'm just 14 years old....

i am seventeen and have really only had six periods... ever. we went to a gyno person but she was rude and mean and i was so embarrassed, i never want to go back. anyway she said i had pos but i don't know how that makes sense. i was underweight until this year, have hardly and acne, have no weird skin flap things medical sites say i should have. and idk about the hair- i'm 100% italian, alot hair is normal for us i thought. and it isn't even that much. but i just got my period for the first time in two months ( and they had to bring that one on after six months of none) and it's all black and tar like- really strange. does this even sound like pos? could it be something worse? do i need to go back to that person? can anyone help me :\\?

Natural Treatment for PCOS

Over the past few years, research into the nutritional approach to PCOS has revolutionised the treatment of PCOS.

As women with PCOS lose weight, hormone levels start to return to normal. Testosterone levels fall, serum insulin levels go down, SHBG levels go up and the symptoms of PCOS diminish, with significant improvements in the growth of excess hair. Accompanying weight loss is a remarkable change in ovarian function.

When treating PCOS and infertility, it is essential to address diet to help reduce weight and improve chances of conception. One study found that 11 out of 12 women who had been overweight and not ovulating conceived naturally after losing weight.

In general, women with high levels of luteinising hormone (LH) in the first half of their menstrual cycle seem to have a greater risk of miscarriage. However, a study found that the rate of miscarriage dropped from 75% to 18% in women with PCOS who changed their diets and lost weight.

Recommended Naturopathic Testing

* Saliva Adrenal Hormone test measuring cortisol and DHEA
* Saliva female hormone panel including estrone, estradiol, estriol, progesterone, and testosterone
* Serum (blood) expanded female hormonal panel, including testosterone and LH to FSH ratio
* Glucose tolerance test
* Thyroid panel
* Blood lipid profile (cholesterol and triglycerides).

Diet and PCOS

* When the body is insulin resistant, it simply does not remember how to use carbohydrates for energy. It can only store them as fat. Therefore, a low carb diet for PCOS is recommended.choose low GI carbohydrates from fruit and vegetables and limit your grains.

* Ensure there is adequate protein with every meal – seafood, white meat, eggs, nuts and seeds and yoghurts.

* Include phytoestrogens in your diet – alfalfa, soy (fermented form), linseeds, lentils and chickpeas. Phytoestrogens may help reduce excessive endogenous oestrogen by bypassing oestrogen binding.

* Buy organic foods whenever possible.

* Reduce your intake of saturated fats.

* Drink two litres of filtered water daily.

* Avoid additives, preservatives and chemicals such as artificial sweeteners.

* Avoid caffeine and alcohol.

* Avoid sugar on its own and hidden in foods.

* Include essential fatty acids in your diet - nuts, seeds, some oils (linseed/flaxseed) and oily fish (including mackerel, mullet and salmon).

Supplements and PCOS

If you taking the oral contraceptive pill to regulate your periods, you may have an even greater imbalance between a number of key vitamins and minerals. Correcting this imbalance will go a long way towards treating the root cause of the problem.

* A good multivitamin and mineral tablet will provide a ‘little bit of everything’.

* Chromium is essential for insulin’s response on blood sugar, cravings, hunger and weight loss.

* Zinc helps with appetite control and is necessary for the correct action of insulin, promoting a healthy blood sugar balance. It also functions together with selenium and vitamins A and E in the manufacture of thyroid hormone.

* Magnesium balances blood sugar levels. There is a strong link between magnesium deficiency and insulin resistance. It is an important mineral to include if you are suffering from PCOS.

* Co-enzyme Q10 is essential for energy production and normal carbohydrate metabolism (the way our bodies break down the carbohydrates we eat to turn them into energy).

* B Vitamins are important for energy production, fat burning and hormone imbalances, including your thyroid gland and metabolism.

* DIM in a supplement form helps the liver convert oestrogen into a healthier form. The dose is dependent on body weight.

NB. For best results, try these recommended supplements for a period of three months. These supplements are best taken under the care and guidance of your healthcare practitioner.

Herbs and PCOS

Herbs are extremely useful in treating PCOS. Making changes and adding supplements to your diet will help control weight and balance blood sugar, while herbs go a step further, targeting any problems involving hormone balance.

* Chaste tree (Vitex Agnus castus) is one of the most important herbs for PCOS because it helps stimulate and normalise the function of the pituitary gland, which controls the release of luteinising hormone (LH). Chaste tree has been successfully trialled in the treatment of PCOS as well as infertility. It enhances progesterone levels, which lengthen the menstrual cycle. Chaste tree has been shown to improve fertility due to its effects on decreasing oestrogen and androgens which, when elevated, are responsible for cycles with no ovulation (anovulation).

* Adrenal tonics such as Rehmannia, Rhodiola, Siberian Ginseng and Withania support the adrenal stress response and help the adrenal glands return to a state of balance.

* Paeonia lactiflora (peony) is another valuable herb as it positively influences low progesterone, reduces elevated androgens (testosterone) and modulates oestrogen and prolactin.

* Licorice, especially combined with peony, helps regulate hormones, reduce androgen levels and improve the LH to FSH ratio.

* Gymnema is helpful in reducing carbohydrate and sugar cravings, thereby assisting in weight loss. Gymnema is one of the most significant herbs to improve insulin resistance.

* Tribulus helps restore menstrual regularity and regulate ovulation.

* Blue Cohosh is a particularly useful herb. It acts as a uterine and ovarian tonic and a pelvic anti-inflammatory.

* Saw Palmetto, a traditional male reproductive herb used to control excess testosterone, offers promising results for hirsuitism.

* Milk thistle, rosemary, Bupleurum and Schizandra are excellent liver herbs, aiding in the removal of excess oestrogen.

NB. You should not take any of the above herbs if you are taking the oral contraceptive pill, fertility drugs, HRT or any other hormonal treatment or other medication unless they are recommended by a registered, experienced practitioner.

Other Natural Remedies and PCOS

* Lymphatic drainage may be helpful to reduce congestion. Try massage, skin brushing and exercise such as rebounding.

* Try castor oil packs (link) or linseed packs (link) for pain relief.

* Homoeopathic medicines - your homeopath or naturopath will prescribe the most appropriate remedy for you.

* Try natural progesterone cream. The dose depends on your symptoms and imbalances.

* Acupuncture is helpful for PCOS. It helps facilitate the free flow of energy through the body. Some acupuncture points are used to move blood, break up stagnation and stop pain.

* Aromatherapy can assist and support the reproductive system, and gently contribute to rebalancing your hormones.

NB. Always consult a registered practitioner.

Exercise and PCOS

The introduction of a regular exercise program to improve fitness and maintain a healthy weight is important, as is addressing other lifestyle factors such as stress management. However, due to insulin resistance and excess testosterone, weight loss can be challenging under these circumstances.

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 19, not long before I was married. My husband and I immediately began a course of Chlomid, and were unsuccessful. We continued with a second course, and still had no luck. We did the pregnyl, and still, my ovulation was unpredictable at best.
My specialist warned me that having this condition would make it harder for me to lose weight, ovulate and conceive. Since diagnosis nearly 2 years ago, I have had very unpredictable periods, one cycle, i was over 6 weeks late. I find this very hard to deal with, as i would love so much to fall pregnant.

Over the last few months, my periods have become more regular, and i believe that this is because i have lost 10kilos. My periods have not been more than a few days late. This month, though, so far, it's 2 weeks late, and i'm struggling to deal. I don't know if it's late because i'm pregnant, or because of my pcos, and i don't feel emotionally strong enough to take a test to know for sure, because i'm afraid that the result will break my heart again.

I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there going through the same kind of thing? I would love to hear from you.

I was also diagnosed with POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME at age 13 and after 6 years on contraceptives I stopped taking them. I thought, " Gosh Im tired of pills plus I cant get pregnant anyways." Well, within a matter of months I became pregnant with my daughter Ava and married her father...the love of my life and my highschool sweetheart. Dont ever lose hope or let ANYONE tell you you CANT. Dreams come true. - Ashley-