My daughter is 16 and hasn't had a period since she was 12. She has been diagnosed with Insulin Resistance. She has excessive hair growth. She is very overweight (250 lbs). She also has brown spots that make a ring around her neck (forgot what that was called). She has been put on the pill this month to make her have periods. I was wondering if all these things could be related to her high testosterone level, which the doctors seem to be ignoring. If it could be related what should I do? She is seeing 4 different doctors to treat each of the problems. Is there 1 doctor that can treat all of them? I'm very concerned for my daughter and tired of being treated like I don't know what I'm talking about.

WOW...your daughter almost def. has poly cystic ovarian syndrome(PCOS), like she sounds like a text book case...and your doctors are ignoring that? def. has to do with the testosterone...does she have a problem with acne by any chance either?

it also sounds like " cushings " does she have extremely oily skin. and what they call a buffalo hump on the back of her neck? read about cushings see if she fits...but it causes severe weight gain, extremely oily face, buffalo hump, the high testoserone would account for the hair and no periods....just read about cushings disease too. we learned all about this when my daughter found out she had a pituatary tumor ...but hers is " prolactinoma" but, at first they tested her for cushings.....both pituitary tumors....it sure sounds like thats what she has...CUSHINGS

If it turns out to not be PCOS, it may be Nonclassical Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia. I have a sister who struggled with high testosterone, weight problems, facial hair growth, brown patches on her knees, neck, and elbows, and eventually, infertility. She was first treated as though she had PCOS but when the meds didn't lower her testosterone, the doctor treated her for NCAH and those meds worked.

Oh my goodness.... Just saw a case like this on Mystery Diagnosis on Discovery Health. Have the Dr's check her adrenal glands... they are above each kidney, I can't remember the name of the disease...but it is definately ALL the same symptoms. The show aired on 9/16/10 at 7:00 pm. If I can find the name of the disease I will repost. Treatable with a special steroid and a medicine to lower her sugar. Good luck!!

I am 24 and have the very same problems I have maybe one period in 3 years. High weight, excessive hair growth, I have the brown spots in different parts of my body. It is her high testosterone level because it took my doctor that I have has since I was 12 until last year to find the Testosterone problems. I have diagnosed with PCOS but that is a wide and new so there is alot of things that are put under that title that is not always the problem if the Insulin resistance meds don't work (like me) they need to test her blood (it is cheaper and the first step if doesn't work there is a saliva test.) and compound her meds to directly deal with the problems not the symptoms it seems to be working for me. I have only been on the meds for a month and lost 25pounds and my hair growth is thinning. You need to get a family doctor who specailises in PCOS mine focuses on it.

JK WHite, what meds are you taking?

The Mystery Diagnosis episode result was Nonclassical Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia.

Brown spots are called acanthosis nigricans and are linked with insulin resistance

The brown spots are called acanthosis nigricans

Have your daughter tested for polycystic ovarian syndrome or high levels of testosterone. My sister and daughter have it. It causes all kinds of stuff, diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure.

See a reproductive endocrinologist...they should be able to help with this.  Also sounds like PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome).  The pill will help many of the problems...as would metformin (or glucophage).  I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 22 years old (about 13 years ago).  The only time I've seen improvement is WHILE I was pregnant.  I lost weight with both babies (65 lbs while pregnant with #1 and about 60 lbs while pregnant with #2)...only to have the weight and issues come right back within a few months after giving birth.