Hi, my sister is prescribed with Metformin for her PCOS. I don’t understand this therapy, as I was told tha Metformin is used in treatment of diabetes.

Hi, I am 35 years old and suffer from PCOS. I had hormon level analysis and my doctor prescribed me Metformin. In the pharmacy they asked me, if I need anything else from diabetic program as they offer discount. I didn’t understand at all why was I prescribed with an antidiabetic to treat a hormonal disorder. PCOS is characterised by acne, excessive hair growth, and what is more important irregular menses, anovulation and infertility. Metformin makes cells sensitive to insulin and improves excessive hair growth, as result of decline of testosteron. It regulates menstrual cycle and brings back fertility.

I am also on Metformin for PCOS, but I also have Diabetes Type 2. It has helped. I know it doesnt seem to make sense. But it is supposed to balance everything out.

PCOS causes elevated blood sugar levels which can lead to diabetes.

Polycystic ovaries syndrome is associated with Metabolic syndrome which is associated with diabetes 2. All of which are related to high glucose and an "overdose" of fat and your body's inability to break this fat down to usable glucose. Metform works on stopping the fat absorption. Metabolic syndrome is an endocrine condition, ( ie it relates to hormones), so hence the association with ovaries. Excess fat, somehow,encourages the ovaries to produce excess androgens, (male hormones) so women with PCOS are typically overweight, have facial hair and have irregular or lacking periods. Apart from Metform, life style changes to reduce central abdominal obesity are also encouraged.
It is also possible for thin women to get PCOS but they would probably not be treated with Metformin

Well I for 1 have type 1 diabetes and was prescribed metformin for fertility reasons....I also didn't understand why I wasn't also prescribed clomid to go along with it because that is usually how it goes