Hi, my daughter is having irregular periods, male pattern hare-loss, acne and one miscarriage. She was recently diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). I would like to know more about this disease. Does anyone suffer from it?

Hi, I was diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome last year when I had my second miscarriage. Doctor was looking for the cause of my inability to carry a child, and he noticed several symptoms that point at this disease. Beside miscarriages, I had polycystic ovaries and mail pattern hare-loss. If I understood correctly, a cause of polycystic ovary syndrome is not known. Because of that, there is no cure for it. Only symptoms can be treated one at the time, and hope for the best results. Our hormones are imbalanced, and your daughter’s skin is probably like mine-oily with lot of acne. I am hoping to have a baby not only because I would love to, but also because I heard that symptoms are often reduced after giving a birth.

hi im amy from s.yorkshire i got diognosed with polycystic ovaries 6 months ago i avnt got the syndrome but may grow in to that,i no a litle bit about it only from mycousins as they have it or from what ive read on the net. i have irregular periods,but i have a lot of excess hair. i do no with polycystic ovaries,it can be very hard to conceive and when we do conceive where more prone to miscarriages also early birth.hope i have helped you a little bit. theres plenty of info on the net xxx

Hello, I have PCOS. I just found out 3 months ago, but I have had it for a long time. It took me over a year to get pregnant with my son. I had no problems once I got pregnant though. Keep trying and don't give up is all I have to say. Don't lose faith. There is also a new breakthrough in PCOS treatment. If you are trying to get pregnant there are drugs and treatments that can help. Ask your Doctor about Metformin. It is a diabetic drug, but it is now being used for PCOS. It is helping me to lose weight and I don't eat nearly as much as I used to. I wish anyone with PCOS luck in the fertility area, and I hope that this has helped.

I have had PCOS since I was ten when I began my periods. I am now 23 and I am having more problems than ever. Your daughter needs to find a doctor that she feels comfortable with and is up to date with all of the medical info. Look on the web to find a good doctor.

Hi. I was diagnosed with PCOS about six months ago when my husband and I went to a fertility doctor. Since then I have done a lot of research on the topic. I have not found a lot of answers. All that I was able to find was that we are insulin resistant. Our bodies to not burn excess insulin from foods that average people do. My doctor though if fantastic. He is in Sioux Falls, South Dakota and PCOS is what he specializes in. We were able to concieve after one month of doctoring with him; however we miscarried at six weeks. I am currently about five weeks pregnant so we will see what happens. I do not know where you are from but I think that if you find the right doctor it really means alot. If you want to talk anymore my email is _[removed]_. feel free to write and good luck.
Alyson Vant Hul

Hi! I am 23 and found out that I have PCOS about 2 yrs ago. My gynecologist had no idea what was going on with me so she referred me to a fertility specialist. She has been great. You can check her out at givf.com. her name is rhonda stokes. i am in the process trying to get pregnant and have been through alot of test. I hate how there isnt much info out about pcos.

I was diagnosed with PCOS 24 years ago. At first it was all about "getting pregnant" for me. Sadly, I realized that this disease is much more, it is about your health. As I sit here on Mother's Day and have now buried 3 children, this is even more the case. I had tests after tests, was taking fertility drugs until they could not raise them any higher (by law) so they included steroids to raise them further. This, damaged my vision, and all the drugs had side effects which further damaged my body. And as I look around at all the sites... I know that many other woman world wide are going through this same thing. And instead of the doctor's concentrating on curing you, all they care about is getting you a live birth.

In your searching for information in combating this disease please keep this in mind. They do know that PCOS is genetic, you will pass it on to your children. They also know that it affects your life beyond the male-pattern baldness, the dark hair on your face, arms, legs, increased insulin resistance, imbalanced hormones with too much estrogen/testosterone and too little progesterone in your body. The battle with weight beyond the norm.

Forgive my cynicism here, but there is much more to this disease than merely having a child. Please think long term. Please think about your life beyond this current desire to have children. They are a wonderful gift, but until there is a serious cure for this disease/syndrome, you are passing on this to your children. Look at what you are going through, and know that the chances are good that you will pass it on to your children.

I was diagnosed w/pcos when I was 16. I got married and we began to try right away. We refused to give up and used fertility drugs until we couldn't go any further. We kept trying until my mother passed away about 7yrs later. about 8 mos. later we concieved our son. I then was only on metformin and eating yams to increase my low estragen levels. I had multiple miscarriages because of low levels of progesterone and so we called the Dr. he put me on progesterone and I carried my son with a pretty easy pregnancy and delivery even with the diabetes. I have also since had a little girl. Our children are 5 & 2. I pray that this story gives hope to someone out there struggling. DO NOT GIVE UP!

i got my first period when i was 9. at the age 15 i was diagnosed with pcos. then when i turned 16, after all the checkups and doctor visits in the world, i had my ovary removed due to multiple cysts my ovary died. i've had one miscarry and been on birth control on and off for 4 years now, and im only 19. i've read every website that talks about pcos and listened to advice that every doctor has to say but for every patient that has this is different. some of them eventually have kids and some never get that chance to. every time i ask my doctor am i going to be able to conceive im told yes, but i think im goin to need help getting pregnant. but my advice is get regular check ups by your obgyn to ensure that your ovaries are in perfect condition and stay that way until your ready

I was also Diagnosed with PCOS, the symptoms are insulin resistant, excessive hair on stomache, face, back, male pattern baldness, at times a ring of cyst around your ovaries, infertility problems, those with PCOS are at risk to become diabetic and have hypertension. I also suggest a good infertility doctor I was treated with metformin and because of the irregular periods I was given progesterone. I was also started on clomid in the attempts to get pregnant for 8 months but that was not successful so then they gave me a combo of clomid for five days and Injections for nine days and I got pregnant. They told me that my daughter was not viable to not get attached because I would miscarry in a week but she is now 13 months old and my pride and joy. Have faith if your trying to get pregnant because it is a roller coaster of emotions. The best way to treat PCOS is to lose weight, eat healthy and excercise because this will lessen the symptoms although there is no cure. Good luck. :-)

Hi! I was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries by my ob-gyne last June 2009 where my periods were irregular. My doctor told me that it would be difficult for me to get pregnant. I didn't mind that because I was getting married that December so I only took the medicine to regulate my menstruation. After our wedding, I noticed I wasn't getting my period and took a pregnancy kit at Christmas eve and it turned out to be positive; however I had a difficult pregnancy. On my first trimester, I was diagnosed to have subchorionic hemorrhage and had a threatened miscarriage. My doctor injected me with hormones and I was prescribed with duvadilan and progestan and was kept on bed rest to maintain my pregnancy. On my second trimester I was diagnosed to have gestational diabetes. My endocrinologist had me monitor my blood sugar levels and was strictly on a diet and eventually had insulin. On my third trimester, I had a weekly ultrasound to monitor the biophysical profile scoring and took a non stress test to make sure that my baby is fine until I gave birth. Now, I have my 4month old baby.

Hi, I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. The most I see from it is random hair on my breasts and above my lip and menstrating abnormally.

i was diagnosed of having PCOS after giving birth. I conceived my child after 4 months i get married.. my menstruation is normal.. i dont know why it happened to me after giving birth.. 

is that normal??