Hi, I have a problem that is starting to interfere with my normal every day life. I have hiccups. This may sound funny but I can't stop them. I have tried all the known remedies: holding the breath, breathing into the paper bag, getting scared and a whole bunch of staff that I could remember. Nothing helps me. This is very stressful, especially now that I am trying to give up smoking. What can I do to stop the hiccups and return to normal life?

Hi, I know how annoying hiccups can be, even when they last couple of minutes, but I can not imagine what you must be going through. The hiccup is caused by the spasm of the diaphragm muscle. What causes the spasm is not yet determined. The hiccups can be related to stress. I believe that this is the reason in your case. Giving up smoking is a very stressful experience. It has also been determined that nicotine gums can cause hiccups. If you are taking them, try changing the nicotine therapy. If this doesn't work you should visit the doctor because prolonged hiccups can be a sign of serious illness.

Just recently I had hiccups for three days. At times they were so severe, I was hiccuping in doubles, triples and even quadruples -- like "hic-hic-hic-hic" in rapid succession.

I tried every type of remedy that I could find but nothing got rid of them. So I ignored all those phony remedies and cures and thought to myself "these hiccups have got to go!"

Since I know that hiccups are very closely associated with the body's natural way of trying to expel gas bubbles from the stomach, I realized that maybe there must be something stopping those small gas bubbles from merging together into a burpable size -- and alas!... it must be some kind of mucous that prevents these little bubbles from merging together?

So I experimented with a remedy that I thought up myself and makes perfect sense as to why it works.

Here's the cure I came up with:
Take one (12 hour) Mucinex tablet (not DM) with one tall glass of water. My hiccups were completely gone within one hour and haven't came back, other than just an occasional hiccup or two every now and then.

I just wonder why doctors don't know about this cure and why they didn't think of it already instead of me discovering it.

just recently I had hiccups for three days. at times they were so severe, I was hiccuping in doubles, triples and even quadruples -- like "hic-hic-hic-hic" in rapid succession.

i tried every type of remedy that i could find but nothing got rid of them. so I ignored all those phony remedies and cures and thought to myself "these hiccups have got to go!"

since I know that hiccups are very closely associated with the body's natural way of trying to expel gas bubbles from the stomach, i realized that maybe there must be something stopping those small gas bubbles from merging together into a burpable size -- and alas!... it must be some kind of mucous that prevents these little bubbles from merging together?

so i experimented with a remedy that i thought up myself and makes perfect sense as to why it works.

here's the cure I came up with:
take one (12 hour) mucinex tablet (not dm) with one tall glass of water. my hiccups were completely gone within one hour and haven't came back, other than just an occasional hiccup or two every now and then like normal.

i just wonder why doctors don't know about this cure and why they didn't think of it already instead of me discovering it.

I have a cure i learnt from a video how to stop HICCUPS and it should work and it is u get a botholdtle of water drink it while holding ur RIGHT ear lope gently for at least 5seconds after that it should of cured ur hiccups.