I have the most annoying and painful hiccups after gallbladder removal. Has anyone else experienced this painful hiccuping ?!

How long ago did you have the gallbladder removal surgery? If it hasn't been that long ago (few days or few weeks) it is not unusual at all that hiccups are causing you pain and the hiccups themselves are caused mainly by the major change your digestive system is experiencing now since gallbladder has been removed. It depends much on what you eat, but still there is bound to be some level of indigestion, bloating and symptoms like hiccups that are tied to changed digestion after this type of surgery.

Michelle in Atlanta wrote:

I'm in some ways relieved to hear I'm not the only one with this issue, (along with many other post issues). I had mine removed about 6yrs ago and experience very very violent hiccups. Usually when I first sit up after getting out of bed or when I take my first bite of food after being hungry. I wondered if it was related to something else but sometimes they make me very agitated due to they are so violent. A lot of people have said I'm the only one they have seen with hiccups like that.

I had my gallbladder removed on Monday- I can deal with the soreness, it's the hiccups that I can"t bear.My doctor prescribed " Promethazine HCL 25 mgs "- it helps for a while, then the hiccups are back with a vengance. I hope this doesn't last for weeks, months or years ! I don't feel like eating when I have the hiccups- Have tried all the household remedies (Breathing in a paper bag, holding my breath for as long as I can, putting sugar on my tounge, etc., ) Wonder if this a common after effect of Gallbladder surgery? Any help, suggestions or comments would be appreciated !

It's been three years since my gallblader has been removed and I get the hicups almost every day.  I drink water from a paper cup thru a paper towel.  Most of the time this works.  Its very frustrating.  I would like to know how to get rid of them permanently.

My husband has them still 3 surgery's in the last month and all just to remove the gallbladder and he still has them we are self are trying to figure out how to get rid of them it's actually scarey and we hope that they go away soon, I do know that wintergreen mints do help , good luck