Can anybody help?

My symptoms are the same as Tubby's (see his email below). He's 44, I'm 65 and otherwise quite healthy. I'm not under stress. I get regular exercise. I'm possibly 5 or 10 lbs. overweight at 170 (5'9"). I've not seen anyone else post a similar set of symptoms except Tubby and do not know how to contact him.

During most of 2004 immediately after a few bites of dinner meals (especially if it was a fatty or spicy dish), I experienced sequencially during 30-minute episodes: salivation, hiccups, naseau, and regurgitation. I often also had heartburn during the day.

Does ANYONE know what's going on?

I was first directed to over-the-counter Prilosec to no avail. During late 2005 and 2006 Prevacid was prescribed and my symptoms mostly disappeared, although not quite completely.

Now and for the last two months of 2006, I have suddenly been plagued by a lot of burping and some flatulence. I'm told I burp a lot most of the night while I sleep. I even have a lot of burping when I arise in the morning on an empty stomach. Eating some toast immediatly stops the burping. I have found that if I'm burping at night and get up to eat a few crackers, the burping stops promptly. Later, though, the gas resumes.

Before being prescribed the Prevacid, I had a complete upper and lower GI . I also had a tube exam through my esophagus into my stomach. A hiatal hernia of the top of the stomach was reported, a condition first discovered at age 40. No doctors ever considered it surgically necessary to correct. Two key 'valves' (one at top of stomach and the other in the intestines) were apparently normal. The only other things found were minor/moderate diverticulitis, a fatty liver, and only one small polyp. I drink very little alcohol. I do not drink milk. I use vegetarian creamers instead. I do drink perhaps 4 cups or sometimes more per day. I quit drinking coffee for two weeks last month, but that seemed to help just a little. My blood test results are normal for everything although I take meds for some problems. I almost never have a stomach ache or head ache.

I take very low dosage Liprinosil and HCZT for moderately elevated blood pressure (starting a year ago), Lipitor for cholesterol, a baby aspirin daily, low dosage Lavoxyl for thyroid, Paxil and some vitamins and diet supplements. Except for the blood pressure medicine, I have been taking all the other stuff for about 12 years or more. I had a fully monitored stress test that raised my pulse to 190 without any problems detected.

Any thoughts? My internist and my GI doctors seem clueless. The latter says I need to quit both decaf and regular coffee entirely, but that helped only modestly.

Also, can anyone forward this to Tubby, who wrote in on 08/03/2003, and let him know I'd like to hear how he's been doing and what he has tried.

Thank you,
Mike
_________________________

From: tubby
08/03/2003
I am 44yrs old. Six yrs ago i was scoped, and told i had mild gastritis, I was put on prilosec, which worked great for 2 years, the symptoms of excess gas and burping or the need to burp returned. I was put on prevacid and it worked most of the time with only occasional symptoms. now the prevacid does not seem to help as well. My symptoms are upper gas, only occassional slight stomach pains. I can not go to sleep for hours after eating (gas). I seem to get gas and slight acidy feeling also on a empty stomach. I eat to much, and am about 50 lbs overweight. I did have a stress test 2 yrs ago, and had no problems. What can cause this feeling of needing to belch and belch

thanks
________________________________

Forum-M.D.-KYP
08/09/2003
tubby There are several causes of increased gas. This can include irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers, GERD or malabsorption syndromes.

I would suggest an upper endoscopy to evaluate for any of the causesof dyspepsia (i.e. ulcers, GERD or inflammation). Testing your stool for malabsorption (i.e. fat malabsorption) and serum tests for celiac disease can also be considered. A test for lactose malabsorption can also be done.

There are a variety of OTC medications that can control gas - such as Beano, activated charcoal or Simethicone. These can be used for transient relief while the cause is investigated.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.

I have been taken Lipitor for about 8 weeks now and started getting a very gassy stomach recently. I am sure it is the Lipitor. I only took a very small amount every other day .5 (1/2 a pill)-- I stopped and in three days, I feel better already. I am going to try another statin once my stomach is fully recovered. I exercise every day, run and yoga (more than I ever have.) It is upsetting to have a bloated stomach. Coffee, Fruit, etc. have no bearing. I truly believe it is the Lipitor. I also read in other articles that stomach problems occur for many. No more Lipitor for me....

The human body is very complex and your gas symptoms can be produced by many things. The lack of enzymes due to our higly processed foods nowadays can produce mal-absorption. If your fecal matter comes out loose with undigested pieces it could mean that you have a mal-absorption problem. If you take antiacid medications without extra enzymes you will decrease the production of HCL in the stomach. If the HCL is decreased then you cannot break down foods properly and this will lead to mal-absorption and putrefaction of food in the intestines. Toxins can be generated in the process which could then increase the probability of polyp development and general tiredness. My suggestion will be to take some enzymes to see if you notice any difference with your gas symptoms.

I have burping problem specially in the moring before and after breakfast as well as night after dinner. I have a healthy diet and as far as I know my blood tests are normal. Any idea to why I am having this problem. Don't you think eating too much healthy food is a problem? I don't drink alcohol but drink too many green tea per day.

I myself have had recent problems with burping, flatulence, stomach/intestinal/colon "gurgling", bloating, nausea. I have recently changed my diet to a more healthy choice due to health issues (diabetic, cholesterol). I have also included exercise 3-4 times per week. I felt better when my diet and lack of exercise were low. But, I am beginning to attribute my recent problems to my system adjusting to a healthier lifestyle. I was having difficulty with diarrhea as well, but that seems to have subsided as of late. I am, however, now experiencing less bm's than before, and they are smaller when I do have them. I know, this is TMI, but that's what's so great about these forum's! I began taking probiotics twice a day with breakfast and dinner to help with the intestinal stuff. It seems to be working so far and when I'm real bloated I use Tums or Maloxx which will help me burp and relieve some of the gas. I think that the increase in veggies and fiber are just taking time for my system to get used to.

Try taking some probiotics for the burping and such. Also, try to not gulp food or beverages as this causes alot of air into the stomach which can cause the burping. Because of eating "healthy foods", it may be that you require digestive enzymes to help your system break these foods down. I know that you can get them at most drug stores or discount department stores relatively inexpensive. As far as burping in the morning upon rising, you might be snoring or breathing through the mouth while you are sleeping causing excess air in your system. I use a CPAP machine while I sleep due to sleep apnea and this has cut down on the burping in the morning for me. You can actually try using a chin strap while you sleep (I believe you can get one from any drug store). This will keep you from mouth breathing while you sleep.

Good luck with everything. Keep posting as to how things are progressing!

Look into low hydrochloric acid content in your stomach. if your body isn't producing enough it will create symptoms as if you have heartburn and reflux, so often times people are given medicines for those conditions which seemingly may help a little bit but as soon as you come off of them can cause an extreme bout of your symptoms again. The beet test, where you cook some beets and eat them, is a good indicator. When you use the bathroom following, if you see any beets or red, the amount showing is a good indicator of low hydrochloric acid levels. The more purple and red the lower the acid production which aids in digestion. Associated with under digested food, nausea, heartburn, hiccuping, belching at random times of the day usually on an empty stomach, or immediately following meals, low hydrochloric acid is easily treatable but often Times overlooked.

Hey! I have this issue and I figured something out that completely solved it for me. I'm 34 female, normal weight, active w exercise (swim yoga dance etc), various latent health issues (family health issues that I think are latent in me: diverticulosis in family, insulin issues, gluten intolerance, autoimmune stuff with thyroid and ovaries, maybe leaky gut and imbalanced gut bacteria, borderline hypothyroid but not yet serious) but none of these issues are really causing health issues right now, just mentioning them for background. Anyway when I don't eat dinner and go to bed on an empty stomach absolutely I cannot stop burping. it's like I feel some last remains being digested or not being digested and coming up. It's crazy and awfully hard to sleep. A couple of times I swallowed baking soda and it helped somewhat but I don't feel like doing that all the time- if the issue is excess acid where is that from? I also feel eating is not a good solution as its natural and healthy for stomach to be empty some times, and seems like it's not able to do its full internal cleaning job.
So one day I randomly got up and for some reason decided to practice or try this thing called Nauli. It's basically a yoga abdominal vacuum plus stomach churning. You can google for lots of videos and guides and pictures. I can't fully do the churning but I can do the vacuum/cavity. I swear to the lord that got rid of my burps after doing t a few times. And I feel like I'm getting better and more effective at it. When I do it when I have the burps, after doing it there's this weird really deep burp, like deep deep gas, that comes out, and a sense of relief. And sometimes some pain like these
Burps happen when my stomach has gone trough some distress or is sensitive. So trying to be gentle and take it slow- but on my life, it got rid of my burps already two nights (a few weeks apart, the two most recent times that this burp thing happened) and as I had been searching for remedies online I just wanted to share this!! Hope it's helpful!! Good luck all

To Mike in ur case its obvi5 that hiatus hernia its the cause.

Thank you so much! I tried the Nauli and it worked. Look up monkey rubs the belly it is feom Taoist yoga. That helps with gas as well.

Hi I m 32 year ..I have empty gas problem.
I m working in office so I am breakfast morning and lunch at 2 pm ..
And dinner 9 o'clock. In a working hour I have produce gas problem in my stomach..I was checkup to the doctor.I have to do endoscopic ..but after the endoscopy I havenot any problem .but gas always produce in my stomach ..how to solve my problem pls suggest ..

Hi Mike and Tubby,
I am 25 year old and I am suffering from same problem like both of you.

I have spent lots of time on net and I was also went to a doctor but still have I am suffering from belching on empty stomach.
Thanks

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hi have you found a cure for your bleching ? I'm going through the same thing. Email me if you like it's ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** posting of private information such as name, phone number or email address is not allowed in order to protect your privacy*** Please read our Terms of Use