I recently ended up with prostatitis which has seemed to go away but come back again. I have so far been on Trimethoprim 200mg (2xday)for 8 days & Doxycycline 200mg (2xday) for about 10 days which helped & seemed like it was going away after a couple of days but them came back again :-( I was recently put on Ofloxacin 200mg (2xday) and again it seemed to be clearing within 2-3 days but still came back again. I was on these for about a week & was recently put on ofloxacin 400mg 2xday since last thursday. I suppose things have improved a little bit but I still have the fullness feeling in the backside which is accompanied by periods of tinging and burning. It hasnt flared up to the extent of severe pain again but i'm worried its not clearing up. I was told I might have to take the meds for 28 days in order to erradicate it. I cant understand why its taking so long as I had this in 2005 and it cleared up quickly with Cipro 500mg after about 6days but the side effects where nasty. It took me about a year to get over them! I had problems with my eyes, muscles and joints and felt weak and couldnt sleep for months afterwards. I recently tried to take Cipro again but reacted badly after one tablet so hence why i'm on Ofloxacin. The strange thing is that I can get an errection & ejaculate which I have been doing every 2-3days. Is this a good idea or not. There doesnt appear to be any blood in the semen but it is a bit yellowish. I dont think I got this through a STD, but more like holding onto my urine for too long on one particular occassion. I'm pretty worried & anxious about things as its sometimes more painful on some days than others and effecting my sleep. I am taking diclofenac as well here and there which kind of helps but painkillers dont really so it must be more of discomfort. I am drinking plenty of water and trying to urine as much as possible. Am I doing right here and will I make a full recovery within the 28 days? Can someone please help as i'm so depressed and worried.

Thanks

JB

My symptoms sound exactly the same. So far I've been on Keflex for 7 days, Trimethoprim 300 mg for 30 days, Doxycycline for 30 days, Noroxin 400 mg (2xday) for a 30 days. After taking noroxin I definately saw the most improvement but it didn't clear up completely. I have a tender feeling (like I need to ejaculate or urinate) when I sit down, frequent urination at night, no real pain only a feeling of fullness in the backside as you describe. This has been going on for 4 months after what appeared to be acute prostatitis that lasted 2 weeks and wasn't treated fast enough. My urologists believes the cause is urine leaking into the a defect in the inflammed prostate

The best thing I found so far has been plenty of cardio excercise, no sitting down, drink pineapple or orange juice and try has hard as you can to push all of your semen out at ejaculation. Follow ejaculation with a hot bath and than urinate to get everything out. I feel the same depression you feel but most importantly try to take your mind of it and concentrate on other things - take up new activities etc, trust me worrying about it all day doesn't make it any better. Its a gradual thing, you just have to give it time.

So, you have chronic bacterial prostatitis. Prostatitis treatment, in this case, definitely necessitates antibiotics, and the course may even go on for up to 12 weeks in severe cases. There is no guarantee that your problem will be relieved after 28 days, but the best thing to do here is to follow the doctor's instructions and then take it from there. 

At the same time, however, you will want to explore natural options for supplementation. Have you heard of bearberry? This is a natural antiseptic and diuretic and many guys find that it really helps them. Saw palmetto is another popular natural prostatitis treatment that can help you. 

Old post but I will still answer this. Acute prostatitis which usually starts with fever and chills is easily killed by most antibiotics . But once the infection becomes chronic it can be very difficult to eliminate. In fact many men have had to have their prostate removed, because of various reasons that I will discuss here now.  Some times prostatitis is caused by bacteria , virus, fungus and some times unknown origin. To find bacteria if it is not visible in the urine it will have to be removed from the prostate in the form of a prostatic massage. Many things can go wrong with prostatitis, in the best scenario bacteria is found and a suitable antibiotic prescribed that cures you. But this commonly does not happen once it goes chronic. Many times the infection will fight the antibiotic back doing everything in its power to stop from being killed off, one technique that bacteria in the prostate use is called Bio-film. Bio-film is a gelatine like substance that bacteria can produce that it surrounds its self with, when bacteria is surrounded with the biofilm it is up to 700 x more resistant to antibiotics. This is why if bacteria is found when cultured and tested for sensitivity it may show in the lab for example you have ecoli with a 97% sensitivity to doxycycline , ciprofloxacin, ofloxacin or whatever, meaning the infection is highly sensitive to the medicines and should wipe the infection out quick, but when you throw biofilm into the mix the antibiotics can not penetrate the resistant biofilm.

Another problem is prostatic abscesses, an abscess is is a collection of pus (dead neutrophils) that has accumulated in a cavity formed by the tissue in which the pus resides due to an infectious process (usually caused by bacteria or parasites) or other foreign materials (e.g., splinters, bullet wounds, or injecting needles). It is a defensive reaction of the tissue to prevent the spread of infectious materials to other parts of the body.

If you have an abscess in your prostate you can take all of the antibiotics you want, you could take enough antibiotics to kill a water buffalo 
and it still will do you no good. Because the abscess acts as a barrier to stop the infection from spreading else where and it also acts as a barrier blocking all antibiotics from reaching the infection to kill it. The abscess must be drained by a doctor before the infection can be cured.

And some times men have micro-abscesses , so many collections of abscesses that it would be impossible to be drained, a man named Gerry had this and the urologist who took his prostate out responded that 10 years of antibiotics would not have cured him. 

Also bacteria can hide in a chamber or duct inside of the prostate or bury its self deep down in the calcification (prostatic stones). If you have prostatic stones in your prostate it will be very ,very hard to cure an infection. Because the infection uses the stones as a shield against antibiotics.
A true infection of the prostate gland is almost impossible to cure once it goes chronic, some people get lucky and luck out, while most live with prostatitis until the day they die.  When you are dealing with a prostate infection once you have had it for about about a year, the infection becomes a deep tissue infection, Infecting the nerves and muscle fibers of the prostate. Once the prostatitis is allowed to exist for very long in the prostate to much damage is done to be cured with antibiotics so either the individual must live with the prostatitis or get the prostate removed 

By the way I am not a doctor but I do know what I am talking about, I have suffered going on 19 months with chronic prostatitis , and at this point know so much information on this subject I could write a book about it

Hi i have been reading a lot about prostatitis on the internet. I myself have been suffering this disease for 7 months. Been taking many types of antibiotics, alpha blocker, mineral s you name it and it didnt really work. It just improve my symptoms. I would like to ask you if by removing the prostate gland will it cure chronic prostatitis even though it can relate to a lot of risk or complication? Thanks.

I have had chronic prostatis for the past 30 years.It has always been bacterial and has been "supressed' with antibiotics both oral and IV.There is no group of antibiotics which I have not used! I have periods of remission ranging from 6 months to 3 years.BUT it always comes back.Bacteria harbouring in Bio films is the reason.However in March this year I had a episode and NO bacteria was isolated.I was diagnosed with non bacterial prostatitis.All symptoms with increase in WBC in prostatic fluid.I took a 8 week course of Moxifloxacin.ALL symptoms resolved however I still have mild prostatitis with slight penile sensation and urge to urinate especially at night.Remember Antibiotics have a POTENT ANTI INFLAMATORY activity.I find 50 mg of Diclofenac(Voveran) at night extremely beneficial for nocturia( night time frequency) and prostate inflamation.Alcohol irritates the prostate.Removal of prostate may not help as the bladder also has bio films wher the bug can hide.oNE HAS TO LIVE WITH IT.iF YOU HAVE NON BACTERIAL PROSTATIS ,DOXICYCLINE 100 MG  TWIC A DAY IS THE BEST .IT HAS A POTENT ANTI INFALMATORY ACTION.

I wanted to ask you mate im 28 years old I did have blod in my sperm and urine iwe drink a lot of medications and didtn help me I wen to the doctor done cystoscopy didn't find anthing ultrasound ,,, nothing one day a doctor ask em if I drive a bike I sad yes he sad stop the bike and se e what is going on it did stop the blod in my urine buth still in my semen iwe stip having sex so im doing 4 time a mount do you think this has something to do with prostatis or its something else because e im getiing really worrid can you help me

Very good information you have provided ,
Thank you

I suffered from Bacterial Prostatitis for a horrible 25 years. I took so much antibiotics I am amazed that I escaped liver and kidney damage. Doctors didn't know what to do, I begged my ediot Urologist for 3 years to remove my prostate but he refused and sent me to an Infectious disease doctor who only prescribed additional antibiotics. I am finally free of it and would love to help all that suffered from this horrible disease. Please send me your phone number and I'll be more than happy to contact you and tell you in details. I just want to share my story with as many patients as possible just to help there is no other motive. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Please tell more.