My daughter is 23 and recently she was diagnosed with Q fever. Can someone tell me more about this condition? I worry about her all the time, even though doctor told us that she will be ok. Thanks

Q fever is a zoonotic disease caused by Coxiella burnetii. This is a species of bacteria that is distributed globally and cattle, sheep, and goats are the primary reservoirs of C. burnetii. This bacterium does not usually cause clinical disease in these animals and only about one-half of all people infected with C. burnetii show signs of clinical illness. Most acute cases of Q fever begin with sudden onset of high fevers, severe headache, general malaise, confusion, sore throat, sweats, non-productive cough, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and chest pain. Fever usually lasts for 1 to 2 weeks and weight loss can occur and persist for some time. Thirty to fifty percent of patients with a symptomatic infection will develop pneumonia and majority of patients have abnormal results on liver function tests. Some of them can even develop hepatitis. Most patients will recover to good health within several months without any treatment and only one percent of people with acute Q fever die of the disease.