Hi, I heard many times about African disease. Half a million people suffer from it, and I think it’s horrible that there’s no vaccine for this sleeping sickness. Can you tell me something more about it?

African trypanosomiasis (sleeping sickness) is infection caused by tsetse fly. It occurs in two form: a chronic one that appears in west and central Africa and an acute form, that acures in eastern and southern Africa. Acute disesase is much more serious, because it can lead to death in only couple of weeks. This African infection leads to lassitude, malaise and irregular fevers. Beside that, infected people usually become anemic with severe headaches and joint pains. Only few affective drugs are available, like Pentamidine, Suramin and Melarsoprol. However, they are not so effective in late stages of this African disease. I think that there are more than half a million people with this disease, because every year there are about 300 000 new cases.