Hello, good people. I have some problems with acute infection of my urinary tract. I won’t explain you which symptoms I feel in order not to bother you. My infection is caused by a bacterium called Proteus. I would like to find out something more about this. Can you help me with some more info?

Hi, there. Proteus is one of the most common bacteria that cause acute urinary tract infections. I think it goes right after E. coli. It can cause symptoms of urethritis. Women tend to urinate more frequently and feel pain during urination. Males have milder symptoms and they can have urethral discharge. Cystitis can also appear with sudden onset. Prostatitis can also occur and men complain on fever and chills. Pyelonephritis can also be reported. It is considered as the progression of the disease.

Hello. Proteus is cured with antibiotics. If you are a female and do not have complicated UTI, then you should take it for 3 days. Those are usually oral quinolones or trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole. If it gets complicated, then antibiotics should be administrated for 10 to 21 days. Pyelonephritis should be treated in hospital. You should ask your doctor for more details. I hope everything will be fine. Bye! Good luck with all!