I have a friend who is infected with Helicobacter Pylori. This surprised me, because I know she is clean person who does not like to eat everything. That is why I wanted to ask how you catch Helicobacter Pylori. I would also like to hear more about this disease, how it is diagnosed and treated. I hope this might help me to understand her problem and maybe help her some way.

For now, it is not known how Helicobacter pylori are transmitted or why some patients become symptomatic while others do not. The bacterium is likely to spread from person to person, through fecal-oral or oral-oral routes. Possible environmental reservoirs include contaminated water sources, as one way that bacteria enter the body. Iatrogenic spread through contaminated endoscopes has been documented also. However, it can be prevented by proper cleaning of equipment. Since the source of Helicobacter pylori is not yet known, recommendations for avoiding infection have not been made. In general, it is always wise for persons to wash hands thoroughly. Beside this, it is recommended to eat food that has been properly prepared, and to drink water from a safe, clean source. Several methods may be used to diagnose Helicobacter pylori infection once it enters in organism. Culture of biopsy specimens for this bacterium is necessary when antimicrobial susceptibility testing is desired.