I'm 37 and just had a Laminectomy and Discectomy on 1/31/06, The reason for the surgery was sciatic pain in the left leg and numbness from the knee to the foot. An mri showed a heirniated disc and a compresion .Well it has been two weeks since the surgery and still alot of sciatic pain in the left leg and still have the numbness if not the same maybe worse. I'm overweight but very muscular for my size. Is there a time frame to be expected that the pain will lessen. Starting to worry been out of work for four months now and running out of temp disability money. I really need to heal soon. My job requires alot of heavy lifting and afraid of losing my job due to this problem.

Lets say that the pain you are feeling is normal…it would be even better to say usual.
This pain is probably caused by the inflammation of the previously compressed nerve. All your previous symptoms may be still present some weeks after the surgery but you shouldn’t worry because it doesn’t indicate that the healing is not in the process.

You may experience anything from low back pain, to leg ache and muscle spasms starting in the back and radiating towards your legs. Have you been given medications to control your post-op pain? Have you been advised about the heat moist and changing positions frequently?

This is all healing process and you shouldn’t be thinking about work until everything goes to its place. I know it is hard but it is better to heal properly and go back to work as a new person than go back to work sooner and injure yourself. Have you been ordered a physical therapy? That may be helpful in the healing period to strengthen the muscles in the abdomen and back to promote better healing.

You can also do something yourself. In case you smoke, get rid of the smokes for the time being as it won’t help in your recovery as it weakens the bones. Make sure you eat healthy food and maintain good hygiene. Work on your recovery!!!!!

I had a laminectomy perfomed 11/25 and to this date my left leg pain and tingling has not gotten any better. I am not on any meds for pain but will be going to the doctor day after tomorrow to see what can be done. It's been over a month and the only thing that has went away are the leg cramps I use to get in the night. I'm very worried about the final result and if it will finally someday go away. As for the injections I was thinking of having one to see if that would help came the nerve down or relieve some of the irritation. Any thoughts or suggestion would be helpful.
Thanks, Danny in Roseville California