Hi all,

I'm a 56 y.o. female PE teacher and I have been out of work since October. I've been suffering with horrible pain below my waist since July 9, 2010. I've had many excruciating spasms in my butt and legs, one time I had to go to the ER in an ambulance. I endured the steroidal shots with no effect. I saw a surgeon last week and am on the list for an L4+L5 laminectomy and possible reaming out of my spinal canal because I've also got stenosis. Nothing but surgery will ease the pain caused by stenosis. I appreciate reading all of your posts explaining your experiences. I hope that my back feels as good after as some of your backs are. I just want to feel whole again and get back to my job. Take care all and have a great Thanksgiving! Don't overdo anything with your backs!!

Hi! I just wanted to wish you luck for your upcoming laminectomy. My mother had a lumbar laminectomy last year. At this point she's still unable to do things for herself, and don't know for sure when and if I she'll be able to return to her job. She's still having the pain that she had before the surgery even after all of the medications that they've given to her. No sitting, standing or walking for more than about ten minutes or the pain shoots down her legs and they go numb. But I'm there to help her out! :-) Her doctor says that it could take up to a year maybe two before she'll be able to do normal activities. She's lucky for having her high pain tolerance. :-) Happy Thanksgiving day to you too! :-)

Holiday greetings! I'm a 51 year old single mother of 4, about to transfer to SFS to finish my BS. I feel for your situation as I have been suffering with Spondy for many years. In my life I've been in a lot of auto accidents, 7 years ago being the worst. In 2004, my MRI revealed Spondylolisthesis with no mention of what grade I was in. I had no idea what this was nor did any of the various doctors ever mention what I should expect in the future. What really sucks is at the time, I had a personal injury case that was about to settle, and my back condition was completely ignored! Currently, I have grade 2 Spondy with bad sciatica problems with aggressive lower back and neck pain. I also have cervical spondylosis and an annoying overactive bladder. Have you been told that neck and bladder problems may get better after the laminectomy? I've heard mixed opinions. Like you, I just want to get my life back so I can move forward. I'm tired of not being able to go for long walks with my older children/dog. I also have a lot of limitations with standing, walking, sitting, etc. I've consulted with two awesome surgeons who said I'll do really well with the laminectomy. What bugs me neither of them have given much detail as to the after care and recovery? That's what I'm more worried about. I'm going to try and put off having the surgery until this spring or summer. I look forward to hearing from you and others who are facing their first spine surgery. Happy New Year!