Hello, good people. I have been suffering from herpes zoster occasionally. I have found out recently that it is related to decreased immune system. I wonder whether this is true. Can anyone help me with this piece of info? I would appreciate all your advices. Thank you in advance for all your replies.

Hi, there. Herpes zoster is a relapse of varicella. This is caused by Varicella Zoster Virus (VZV). It cannot be eliminated from organism, but it gets into its latent phase in some of the spinal ganglia. For many people, it stays in that phase for ever. These people never get herpes zoster. However, certain people have problem with their immune system. When its activity is decreased, VZV activates and then there are symptoms of herpes zoster. This trouble with immune system is usually provoked by stress, physical exhaustion or even by menstrual cycles with women. I hope I’ve helped a little. Bye!