My mom suffers from severe plaque psoriasis and of top of that last week she started to develop very itchy red rash. Her dermatologist quickly diagnosed her with shingles, or infection with herpes zoster virus, and mom is currently on the anti-viral treatment. What worries me though is how effective will it be and how big is a danger that the virus will cause complications.

Mom was on immune suppressant medications for years on and off and that could only make her immune system as weak as possible to any infection. The rash is now turning from itchy to painful and we have the next appointment with the dermatologist in three weeks which seems way too long to wait. Is there any other way to stop the rash from spreading or is there anything else I can do to make sure shingles don’t cause more complications?