I have a question regarding the Sjorgen’s syndrome. I have been diagnosed with that disease six months ago, I have reported it to my doctor with standard symptoms of eye and mouth dryness and advanced conjunctivitis. The doctor gave me some medications to help me with the dryness of the mouth and the eyes including artificial tears. I didn’t have any complications so far. I want to know is if there is any kind of cure for it and what is the prognosis, what could be the possible complications?

Sjorgens syndrome is an autoimmune disease affecting glands that produce tears and mucus. The consequence of that is unrepairable damage to those glands and consequent lack of tears in the eyes and mucus in body cavities such as mouth or vagina. As the result of the damage to the glands dryness of the vagina, mouth and eyes appear. In eyes it produces tingling and itching followed by conjunctivitis, in mouth, dryness of the internal lining, increased risk of dental cavities and yeast infections, in vagina, there is increased risk of vaginitis and painful sexual intercourse. The cause of the disease is unknown, the fact that it is autoimmune disease means that the white blood cells of your own body attack your salivary and tear glands. The disease isn’t contagious and it affects all races, mostly women over 40 years of age. There is no known cure for it, the best doctors can do for now is to ease the symptoms of Sjorgen’s syndrome with eye drops and vaginal lubricants, in some more serious cases anti-inflammatory drugs and immune system depressants are used to control the syndrome. The complications may include the problems with the pancreas as well as the other digestive organs. It is very important that you keep your doctor familiar with all events connected with your disease and any new symptoms that appear so you could be given appropriate treatment.

A person suffering from Sjogren's usually has a dry nasal cavity as well.
For dry mouth, you might try chewing sugarless gum or candies to stimulate the salivary glands. Drink lots of water. Use mouth washes for cleansing and rinsing, brush your teeth often. The absense of "helpful" bacteria usually found in saliva may lead to dental caries, so check with your dentist regularly.
"Tears Natural" in drops or gel form is the product suggested by many Physicians to keep the eyes moist. Possible complications and damage to the cornea of the eyes is a possibility, so pay attention to any changes in your vision.