Hi. I have 30 years old and i am pregnant with my first baby. Last week I had an ultrasound at 21 week and the doctor told me that he found white spot in the heart of my baby. But he told me not to worry because my triple test showed a ratio of 1/9000. But I am still confused. Is that mean an increased risk of Down Syndrom for my baby and should I do more tests?.

We had the same finding on our ultrasound coupled with a negative triple screen. We were told there was nothing to worry about, but we of course worried. We had a healthy baby boy in June. I really believe it is nothing to worry about unless there are other indications of a problem.

Hi. One of my twins had a white spot on her heart during the ultrasound and the doctors made us worry so much - but she was born absolutely perfect. She's now 6 years old and hasn't experienced any health problems at all.

Enjoy your baby!

J

Hi I'm 28 weeks pregnant, I had an ultrasoudn at 27 weeks and they todl us that the baby has spots in the liver, can anyone tell me has this happened to them,. or if you know anything about it.
The Doctors keep tyelling us not to worry, but you know that's impossible to do. I worry is becouse I did not have an amnio, and they told me they wanted to discard any genetic problems, please let me know, the doctors say it's not that commen, but how would I know, I'm not a Doctor.
Ana

The doctors had me worried through out my pregnancy. My daughter had a white spot on her heart at 20 weeks and they did more altrasounds at 34 weeks were they still saw the white spot on the heart, as well as her kidneys were underdeveloped. Down syndrome came up several times through my pregnancy. My beautiful healthy daughter was born July 11th. I know there is really nothing I can say to ease your mind, but I know from experience that altrasounds cause a lot of unnecessary worries.

I was s25 yrs old and 19 weeks pregnant when I was told my baby had white spots and I needed to see a specialist. I found out 2 wks later that my baby in fact had down syndrome. It is one of the signs Drs look for, take it very seriously!!!! And please don't do anything you will live the rest of your life regreting!!!

Just don't let them do an amnio on your baby. If it is Down Syndrome, there is no way to treat it, and an amnio has risks to the baby itself. You'd rather have a Downs baby that is healthy, than an injured or killed normal baby that was damaged by an amnio needle.

im 20 weeks and the same thing happened at my ultrasound.
they found a white spot in my babies heart. they scared me telling me that babies with that mark in their hearts are born with down syndrome.
they took some blood work and they called me in saying i had a very low risk. you wont be sure unless you have an amnio done which has a 1% chance of a miscarriage. i think unless you are over 35 or it is genetic you shouldnt really worry. i know women who have been told the same thing and their babies come out just fine.
im 22 this will be my first baby and it has never been in my family nor my husbands.

I am 18 weeks pregnant, 30 years old, and they found the same spot on my ultrasound. My blood work came out abnormal too with a 1:70 chance of birth defects. I had an amnio, and for the record the chance of miscarriage if done by an experienced provider is about 0.1%. The baby is completely fine. The more I read about this spot the more it seems that as a solitary finding it means nothing. My perinatal doctor said the only thing that might be wrong with the baby is a heart murmur that will clear as he gets older. So if that was the only thing they found relax and know that everything will be fine.

At 18 weeks I went in for my normal ultrasound, only to find out that my son had a bright spot on his heart. We had already had the genetic screening and it had come back normal with 1:10000 risk of downs. My husband and I are big worriers but could not do the amnio because i had already taken my blood thiners for the day. After a few weeks i started having panic attacks and we decided to do the amnio, now we are waiting for the results! Its a scary thing but the genetic cousler told us that it is very rare to have downs with only a soft marker and no hard marker. So we keep praying until we get the results!!!

I had a down syndrome child in September 08. It did not run in my family or my husband family. That has nothing to do with it. God will give you what he wants you to have.

I just had my 20 week u/s done and found out that my little boy also has a white spot on his heart plus I have a SUA which is a Single Umbilical Artery. The SUA is a sign that their could be something wrong and with the added white spot we are worried. Has anyone had both or have known of someone who has?
Thanks,
Robyn

my baby girl had the same white spots... but she is a healthy baby girl today!
Even when to get a heart ultrasound done... and nothing too scary showed up. Praise the Lord!

Hi

Yesterday I had an additional scan on my babys heart by a specialist because I myself have a hole in the heart, although there are no holes like mine that they can see there was a white spot on one of the heart valves. As well as on the 20 week last scan we were told that the babys kidneys looked slightly dilated these two things are apparently soft markers, things they look for to see if there are any chromosone defects. I now have to go back for another scan in a couple of weeks time to check the kidneys again to see if they really are a soft marker. If there is only 1 soft marker apparently its not much to worry about but since there are potentially 2 this could be a chromosone defect, which I am now really nervous about.

They too have told me not to worry about it as its low risk but I dont know how you can help not worrying about it, even though there really isnt anything you can do about it. Its difficult to assess the risk since I am not knowledgeable enough. I was offered the additional down syndrome test but to be honest I dont really want to take it as it wouldnt change my mind about the pregnancy anyway and it does have risks accociated with it. So I guess I can only hope for the best and hope the next 2 weeks go by pretty quickly and fingers crossed the kidneys are ok on the next scan.

Of that's the only sign don't worry. My wife is in ultrasound school and she has learned that these spots are becoming so common now because the technology is so much better than it was even just a few years ago. So these spots are likely just normal anatomy when coupled with certain baby positions/orientations they just show up better than before. Also it is just a SOFT marker. If you take 100 babies WITH Downs, statistically only 2 of them will have this same soft marker. It takes multiple signs for a Dr to have concern. But I understand the worry. Even our 19 week sonogram shows brighter spots. Everything else checks out perfectly.