Hi, I would like to know what exactly is Ryder’s syndrome. Recently one of my close friends got diagnosed with it, I have tried finding some info on it both in the local library and on the internet but there’s no info about it. What are the symptoms and what is the prognosis and the outcome of the disease? Is it life threatening?

The reason why you could find very few information about this disorder is because it is very rare, it is estimated that there are only few people in the world that have it. It’s symptoms are: arthritis, urethritis (inflammation of the urinal tube) and conjunctivitis. The origin and the causes of the syndrome are unknown since it is so rare any research in finding out what causes it are difficult. It seems to affect men at young age, between 20 to 30 years of age. There is no special treatment for it, broad spectrum antibiotics are used to treat urethritis the outcome and the prognosis for the disease is generally good but the disease cannot be cured – it has lots of remissions during the course of life. For further information about Ryder’s syndrome you should consult your physician.

I have been diagnosed with Ryder's Syndrome in March of 2005. It seems to affect connective tissue the way arthritis affects joints. It hurts like nuts and sometimes goes away. I was given increasing doses of MTX (chemo) to attempt a "remission" of the disorder but to no avail. It is a condition contingent upon a certain genetic strain (I forget what it is...HB207 I think). I understand that this genetic strain makes one susceptible to Ryder's because it allows a virus of any kind in the body to fester within joints and/or connective tissue. So I have been told.

Celebrity
Hi! I was also told that this genetic factor makes it more likely for a person to develops Reiter’s but it is actually bacteria that causes it.

I was found to have contracted Chlamydia (sexual contact) but other bacteria that are acquired through the digestive tract could be the cause. They are salmonella, shigella, yersinia, and campylobacter and can be contracted by eating meat that were not placed in the right temperature.
However, not all people develop the syndrome who come in contact with these bacteria. I guess, this is where the genetic factor comes in.
What symptoms are you suffering from?

I had problems with urogenital tract the most. I had/have problems urinating, the urge’s frequent, it burns and sometimes I even develop fever.

I also have spondylitis.

Are you saying that you’re having strong arthritis pain? I am not in so much pain but am hoping for clearance of my symptoms.
I heard that some people develop chronic arthritis.

Probably 90 percent of this article applies to me, and this has been by far one of the most valuable resources that I have found. Check it out.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web adresses not allowed **

I am not going to waste your time trying to tell you what it is or what it does. Here is a link for Reiter's syndrome.

Hope it helps.

Also medicinal cannabis is suppose to ease the pain of the disease. Support HR2087.
This bill would reschedule marijuana under federal law so those states that wish to legalize the medical use of marijuana under state law could do so without federal interference.

mercycenters.org/legis/HR2087.html
capwiz.com/norml2/home/

Good luck and tell you friend stay active

Both my father and brother have been diagnosed with ryders syndrome, and about 1 year ago my cousin was also diagnosed with it. (Unofficially there has been a link made between ryders syndrome and calamity/STD.) This does have some truth to it seeing as my father, brother and cousin were diagnosed with some type of STD prior to the diagnoses of ryders syndrome. As far the as the outcome of the disease my father, brother and cousin have some frozen/rigid joints in the hands and body. All three surf daily with minor aches and pains.

I was recently diagnosed with ryders disease after a long painful stint in the hospital. I lost 40 pounds in two weeks without any change in diet and suffered complete rhabdomyalsis( muscle breakdown) I experienced the extreme joint pains like others who suffered this syndrome but i was wondering if anybody else had suffered the more serious effects that i have.(liver failure, ruptured lung, water on the heart, etc.)

My past husband had Ryders Syndrome... and was in severe pain like chronic arithritis in his joints and it seemed all his joints became enlarged. He was a vietnam vet and was disabled with 100% disabilites. But he was diagnosed with this disease about 15 years after being out of the service. At his last few months before passing, he started having liver problems, and his lung colapsed.. not sure about problems with his heart. He also was exposed to agent orange while in vietnam...so even the VA doctors couldn't really give me much info on this disease, since they said it is a rare disease. He did lose alot of weight and he ended up very freal..skinny and weak. I don't know where or why he got Ryder's Syndrome, but I do know this pain that acompany's this disease, is intensed and chronic. Your in my prayers...

The correct name of it is Reiter’s syndrome.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

It really hurts bad I was diagnosed it in 2010 an what caused it was a std It sucks I hurt all the time some times I cry at night it hurts so bad. I'm a male an 30 it's said to say marijuana helps the pain wonderful

Ryder's syndrome and Reye's are different things...Ryder's Syndrome IS the correct name/spelling for THIA syndrome....