My wife has been tested yesterday; she is pregnant, 2 months. I am very worried because tested showed Down's syndrome, some genetic defect. She has been crying since. She is 19 years old and I am 22. This is our first baby. What can you tell me about this syndrome? Is it dangerous for the baby?

I am sorry to hear that, you are both very young so I am little shocked that testing showed Down's syndrome. A mother's risk of having a child with Downs’s syndrome increases with age, so at age 19, the odds of a Downs syndrome baby are 1 in 1,500. Anyway, while many children with Downs’s syndrome are able to grow up and lead productive lives, most will require some level of extra care. It means that your baby has an extra copy of chromosome 21. It means that baby will probably have mild to moderate mental development, usually a few physical growth problems….