I am 37 yrs old and 16 1/2 weeks pregnant with my third child. It's been 13 years since my last child so it's almost all new again! The technology today is so much different then it used to be. I have had 3 ultrasounds at this point as well as multiple blood tests. I was told that my ultrasounds were normal and that my first trimester genetic blood screens were normal and showed a very low risk of Downs as well as other anomalies. Then I received a call today that my lst ultrasoumd showed a shadow on the baby's heart and that was a possible risk factor of Downs and that it increased my risk of the baby having down to double what my risk factors were before the ultrasound. I believe I was told initially that my risk was 1:2000 and now it is 1:1000. I had an amniocentesis with the last ultrasound and have not gotten the results yet. (obviously I am now even more eager to get the results!) I am scheduled to have yet another ultrasound in 2 weeks to recheck the "shadow" (possibly a calcium deposit as others have written about?) My question is this - if the amnio comes back normal can I truly relax? I know no test is 100% accurate but I was told the amnio was 99%. Please tell me if I am worrying needlessly. Thank you.

Hi maryg, you are worrying for no reason--but that's okay! It's your new baby and you've every right to. But yes, hopefully you realize that you're okay. You still have a 1 in 1,000 chance. That is QUITE low! Does that help at all?