Hi, I'm 18 weeks pregnant and I recently had an abnormal integrated test come back indicating my child was high risk for down syndrome. Basically the doctors gave me a 1 out of 13 risk factor.

Then I had an ultrasound for high risk patients and there were some markers (calcium deposit in the heart, fluid on the brain at the back of the head, his arm isn't bending and he has a flaccid hand) that also indicated possible down syndrome. So now my risk factor is 1 out of 7.

I had a amnio, two days ago, so now I'm waiting for the conclusive results. After much discussion between my husband and I we have decided if the result is positive, we plan to terminate the pregnancy.

After looking at possible options for abortion on the internet, it appears the baby will endure quite a bit of pain. While we do not believe we can raise a down syndrome child, we still don't want to inflict terrible amounts of pain on it.

It seems strange to me that we give our pets, and criminals a lethal injection which is quick and stops the heart, yet for abortion, they have to dismember the fetus.

I would like our baby to have the most painless death possible. Does anyone know if there are more humane abortion options out there?

And, yes, I'm well aware of my choices such as adoption and keeping the child....these are not options that we want to pursue.

Abortion is abortion no matter which way you look at it. I am not for it or against it as i have had 2 procedures myself. But in your situation, parents are given the choice and i fully understand why you have come to your decision.
My nephew is a downs syndrome child and i see what goes on there. But these kids are full of love and majority of them them are very smart. But in reality, the first pregnancy should be exciting and filled with anticapation about having a beautiful, healthy baby.
There is no pretty way to abort, it's a medical procedure, period.
My daughter had one at 5 months. She had to because she was a heroin addict, among other addictions.
I went with her to a two part procedure. The first day they applied a medication that would slowly open her cervix thru the night, causing mild cramping. The next morning, they did the actual procedure. They injected something into the fetus so there would be no pain. Then it was over. The whole thing took about 45 minutes.
I'm sorry, i feel so bad describing this to you and your husband, and i couldn't go into further detail, but just know that the doctors will try to make this as painless as possible for you and the baby.
Talk to your doctors, they will tell you different possibilities and the most safest and comfortable ways to handle this.
God Bless you both, and i am sorry for you. It is a hard decision to make but i know that you will make the right one, which ever is best for you.

they said that my son was downs..I chose to have him and he wasnt,but I would have loved him either way,that was my choice,point is,they could and often are wrong x

It's really too bad that you don't think a soul who happens to have Down syndrome does not deserve to be born. Maybe you should rethink being parents.

I am 16 weeks pregnant and in a similiar situation.  i have had my amnio done yesterday our results will only be available in 2=3 weeks itme.  it is killing me. My NT scan was 1mm normal and the nasal bone was visiblel so i am sitting in a 50 50 situation.  but my husband and i have already decided to abort if the bay is not normal.  I am 39 this is my first pregnancy my husband is 54 this is 5th child. we wamt to do what is best for baby and is concerned when we die what would happen to him.  there arent many good facilities in SA to look after children wiht special needs and and we are concerned what would happen to him if we can no longer take care of him.