I have just received terrible news. My sister has had a baby, and she is a lovely little girl. So far, so good. But she has been tested for genetic diseases, and now it turns out that the lovely little girl, called Jane, has triple x syndrome. There are many abnormalities involved. Now, I was really hoping you could tell me more, because I don't know much about it and I find it hard to deal with it all. What can you tell me about the life expectancy of children born with triple x syndrome?

My daughter has triple x too. Your sister should go to a genetics specialist who can chart her baby and explain it all to her. There are different forms and it seems with triple x each person is unique, so symptoms vary. What the triple x means is she has an extra x chromosome in her body so you and me are 46xx they are 47xxx. There are different names for it Trisomy x, 47xxx or xxx syndrome. When this happens to a baby it is a random event in which either the mom or dad threw an extra x into genes, nothing can change it - its random. It occurs in 1 in 1,000 newborn girls. An extra copy of the x chromo is associated with them being tall, poss learning disabilities, developmental delays ect. But remember each case is different so it does not mean she will have many of these symptoms. There are alot of women who go thru life never knowing they have it - they look normal in most cases. There is a form of Triple x mosaicism which seems to have more symptoms but again this varies and there are programs available to help. My daughter walked late ( just starting now at 18 months), got teeth late (12 months started),she is also very small not on the chart. At 18 months she is 29.5 inches long and 16.9 pounds.Also she is hyper flexible. They usually have a growth spurt at 4 and get very tall with long legs. Usually they look normal- mine is a perfect doll. So try not to panic it is not so scary when you understand it and what it means for them. It is emotional thinking something is wrong with your baby so your sister will need you but she will be ok. Most live normal lives, look perfectly normal just may do things as a child a little slower. But honestly what is normal anymore.

I have mosaic triple x. I write to tell anyone out there worried about this condition that I am a corporate lawyer at a Fortune 500 company. I manage a department of 17 people. I have 5 advanced degrees beyond college. I have given birth to three beautiful, healthy, normal daughters and am happily married. I look normal and didn't know I even had any disorder until I underwent genetic testing after a miscarriage (I have had 2 miscarriages). I am not too tall (5'4") and do not have a small head. I always did well in school. Thank goodness I wasn't aborted.

I have recently been diagnosed with mosaic triple x as an adult.  Like 'Guest' above, I'm writing to reassure anyone about the condition.  I have lived my life until now (28yrs) without even knowing I had the condition.  I developed on time and had a successful childhood in terms of my schooling (I had a reading age of 13 by the age of 6).  I got top grades in my teenage years and I went on to get a 1st class degree from university.  It does worry me that people may be given misleading information about the condition and choose to abort.

Hi, I also have triple x syndrome. I am 27 and found this out when I was at primary school. I had tests done as I was short - going against the tall factor - but everyone is different. I had growth hormone until i was 15ish. Im 5'4 had no learning difficulties. I have lived a happy life not bogged down with this terrible genetic development and plan to live a full life until I'm incredibly old and grey :)

Dont worry about something that may not even factor in the childs life like so many other girls and women. Just enjoy the new addition to your family.

Did you have an amino done when you were pregnant with your children?

Hi
I'm 19 weeks pregnant and just found out my baby has triple x. I was so scared for our future but it's great to hear these positive stories.

I wasdiagnoses with a triple xpregnancy at 12 weeks.  My daughter is now 5.5 yrs and totally gorgeous.  She walked at 14 mos, delayed speech... Started with understandable first words at 4 yrs.  Went thru 6 speech therapists until we have finally found a good one.  Making huge progress.  She started kindergarten 2 days after she turned 5.  She's about in the middle of her class.  What was a bigger concern has been her health.  Totally healthy except a strange cough which endless doc visits put down to being borderline asthmatic.  Just before she turned 4 they detected a murmur... Turned out to be primary ASD (13mm hole in her heart) and left ventricles not working properly.  A year later, I am glad her open heart surgery is behind us.  Careful, the prevalence of this is higher with triple x if you do your research (which we did too late).  Her speech therapist also asked to have her eyes checked by a behavioral optometrist, and it turned out she has extropia (focal point not rightaffecttracking eye tracking).  Apart from that, she's just perfect.  On the anxious side (is that because what she's gone thru?), but we have made a real point of socializing her and she's getting better.  That might still take some work.  They told usboot to continue the pregnancy... I am so grateful we didn't listen.  It's perhaps a bit more challenging yet worth every single second.   And she's an amazing swimmer...doing beautiful freestyle 50m of the pool,Aja's got amazing musical talent and a laugh that's utterly priceless.  For those who have kids with triple x, they are just extra special.

Cheers Carole and miss dani (age 5 going on 16) :)!

triple x syndrome there is some syntomes one tall stature , behaviour and mental prons weak musucils it tells u all about it on the internet

Hi my little girl is 3years now with xxx hrt speaking is bad but getting better wlth therrpy . But she as to lern English and german . First language is german . But she is just a little devil like all todlers ... i am happy i read you Story .. joe

I have a beautiful 15 yr old with triple X. She is smart, funny & lovely however a bit delayed with social situations. Any advice how you were able to get through these awkward years?

My youngest daughter is Triple X.  She is 16 years old and a Junior in High school.  She gets average grades and has to work very hard.  The key for her is repetition, repetition, repetition.  She walked early, talked on time and all motor development was either early or on time.  She had a little trouble with speech but that could have been in the cards for her anyway, her dad had speech therapy as a little kid too.  She was on par with her peers in speech by 2nd grade and stopped therapy at the advice of the therapist.  She got her drivers licence recently and did very well on both the written test (repetition before hand, took lots of practice tests ahead of time) and practical.  She plays multiple sports including soccer, track, softball, basketball and gymnastics.  She is a very happy kid and has lots of friends.  She is socially a little awkward, but really, what 16 year old isnt?  She is tall and thin (5'7" and 108 lb), but I am tall as well, 5'8".  Her sister is 5'5" and her brother is 5'10".  She has always been one of the tallest in her class until she got to high school.  Now, she's not so noticeable and she loves that.   She loves little kids and plans on being a kindergarten- 3rd grade teacher after she graduates from college.  I received the diagnosis while still pregnant and at that time, it was extremely terrifying.  There was NO information on the internet then and the genetic counselor couldn't add a lot to it either.  So I was kind of winging it at first.  I ran across a study in Europe that was following several girls in their milestones from birth.  At that time, most were young teenagers.  Several of the posters are correct in that the degree if issue depends on many other thing.  I have come to understand that the rest of her genes play a big part in her make up.   Her form of Triple X seems to be extremely mild based on other cases I have read about over the years, so we are very lucky.  My daughter is an extremely normal, very healthy teenage girl with a very bright outlook on life.  I couldn't be prouder of her and in no way do I (or have I ever) consider her to be handicapped in any way.  She does have limitations, she knows what they are, but really, doesn't everyone?  In retrospect, looking back over the past 16 years, I realize that if she had to have a "defect", this, by far, was the one to have.  She is aware she has it and has read all the literature I have on it (it's not really very much though).  She isn't worried about her future and is a confident young lady.  I hope the poster has found that this syndrome is not as terrifying as it seemed back when she found out.

I am doing a project for school and wanted to know if you can contact me as soon as possible so we can talk about this syndrome. It would be really helpful! Thank you.

Hi Carole
Interesting post. My little girl is XXX and has no symptom. She walked at 12 months and is speaking perfectly at just 2. She is actually very advanced for her age ! However she was diagnosed with an ASD (9 mm at 9 months) after being hospitalized for pneumonia. I asked my doctors whether this could be due to her genetic conditions but they said no. If you have any litterature on the link between the 2, I would be interested to get it.

Best,

Sophie

Your response just gave me chills. I just found out that my beautiful little 20 month old daughter has Triple X. Every night I pray that she will grow up happy, go to school, build the life of her dreams and pursue any career she would like and hopefully someday have a wonderful spouse and family of her own.
Thank you for sharing your personal experience.