I have been told how many pro-life groups conclude that a large percentage of women who have undergone an abortion experience serious consequences. They said it is usually depression, and massive feelings of guilt. They called this posttraumatic abortion syndrome, or post abortion syndrome. I believe this is possible so I would like to hear more about it.

Post-Abortion Syndrome or PAS is a term that has been used to describe the emotional and psychological consequences after abortion. It is well known that whenever someone goes through a traumatic experience, without the opportunity to process the experience emotionally, he or she can expect a delayed negative reaction. Since we live in a society that ignores the painful consequences of abortion that is something what is happening often. Men and women who have experienced it are urged into denial. That is why they do not talk about and process the normal feelings of anxiety, fear, shame, guilt and grief, which often follow the abortion. When this kind of emotions are denied and buried, they will often resurface having been magnified by time. Anxiety is defined as an unpleasant emotional and physical state of apprehension, common as symptoms of post abortion syndrome, beside guilt and anger. Post-abortive women with anxiety may experience tension, physical responses, such as dizziness, pounding heart, upset stomach and headache, etc.

I personally had an abortion at the age of 18 ad i still to this day believe that was one of the best decisions for me. I was able to finish school, get a degree, and be more responsibile when i was ready to have children... so your saying that depression is one of the draw backs... I disagree.... I am one who experiencedit all. at 18 i had an abortion and at 20 i gave my child up for adoption... i now regret neither... one bothers me more than the other... my child is out there somewhere and i have not idea where and i have no idea how he is doing... now this is what will bring on depression... i now have a 2 children and i live everyday to the fullest... i realize we all make dumb decisins in our past there is noone to blame but ourselves... but we do no need people like you trying to bring us down as well... quilt is not a big factor with BORTION....

The studies relating depression and abortion were ruled scientifically invalid. This is because no history of depression was taken before the abortion. It could be possible that many of these woman were depressed prior to the abortion. It is also possible that woman suffering from depression are more likely to have an abortion. If depressed woman are more likely to have an abortion, then the percentage of people that suffer depression after abortion will be skewed higher. Since it wasn't included in the study it is unknown

If you are having feelings of guilt then it is best to go to a councillor and talk about it

I also had an abortion about 30+ years ago, and the only negative is that if I mention it openly and honestly I am sometimes verbally attacked by people with strong beliefs against it. I suspect that if one holds strong beliefs against it, they would probably also have negative thoughts after going through the procedure. I still think it was the best decision for me, and I think it should be safe and legal. I'm pleased with the morning after pill, which I believe has the potential to prevent abortions in the first place. I think people make mistakes, and some of them involve reproduction. If we can't forgive ourselves for this, I suspect we have trouble forgiving ourselves for anything.

I have had 3 abortions, I am 24, college educated, and work for planned parenthood part time.

WOMEN WITH REGRET generally have ONE THING IN COMMON..They did NOT really want to do it, they were usually forced or coerced by a loved one.

carifary...3 abortions??? I'm not a pro-lifer by any means. I can certainly understand the right to choose whether or not to carry a pregnancy..but 3 abortions? In what areas of your life are you educated? To me abortion is something that someone has the right to ...once..if at all. How is it you allowed yourself to be put into this position more than once? Were you raped twice? I'm sorry...I want to always support a woman's right to choose,...but abortion to me, is a decision made only when all other options are not possible. 3 abortions?? No matter what you believe about the viability of a fetus and whether or not it is a "human" at 6 or 7 or 3 or 12 weeks, bottom line is from the moment the ovum is fertilized it is potentially a person. I can see how the decision to end a pergrancy is every woman's perogative...but to me..it should be something that a woman would entertain once, if ever, in a lifetime. 3 abortions? What the f"" is up with that? Abortion is every woman's choice. It is not, nor shold it be a method of birth control!

I am degreed and educated, I work in an abortion clinic.

I cannot use hormonal BC, so I am left with 'barrier' methods, which are not as effective.

FOR the record, I did get pregnant with an IUD.

I am also happily married.

JUST because I am married, am a woman, and am well off financially, does not mean that I MUST have children.

We do not ever want children, it is a personal choice.

By no means is this intended to be rude. If you and your husband are certain you never want to have children, why not have him get a Visectomy or have you get your tubes tied? If your convictions are that strong, would these options be viable?

By no means am I telling you what to do, it is your body after all, just trying to understand. I know women who have had the tubal litigation and then regreted it later, and personally I know something so permenent is not for myself. However I would be a liar if I said I didn't consider it now and again. After the removal of my right ovary with this surgery, again just personal thoughts and mostly messed up by Morphine right now, I can't ever consider doing a tubal litigation.

THE abortion of a child is murder, life obviously is present from conception, anyone with logic would see that! the process becomes an infringment on the dignity of the women and especially as that life was meant to be a FRUIT in LOVE, it reduces us to the women and the sexual act as meaningless object! and becomes an infringement on our freedom to love.
- PAS is a very real problem and its not true that only women who are forced get it-
70% of women who had abortions were forced by so called 'loved ones' (yeah Right!) what does that say about the lie of the name "free choice" when infact women are either forced by someone or feel they have no other choice!
a child is a gift to the world and human life must not be treated with indifference and disgarded at will! no one will get away with doing evil in this world, there is a consequence to it all.
i love you all and there is still healing for each heart!

A woman I know had an abortion 30 years ago and says she thinks about it every day. She has endured years of regret. If you are struggling turn to a pregnancy alternative center. Don't go to planned parenthood. They have an agenda and they may not tell you the truth. They won't tell you that you may live to regret a decision made out of fear. I have another friend that was pregnant at 16 and had the baby, gave him up for adoption and also thinks about him everyday but with no regret. She is proud that she gave him life and a chance at growing up in a family. Think about the consequences. Once it's done, you don't get to change your mind

I have had 3 abortions in my lifetime, and regret NOTHING.

ONLY an individual person KNOWS how they will react. IF you are not 'sure' you want an abortion, then do not have one, or you may likely feel regret.

I was SURE I wanted an abortion.

Panicked pregnant women who gave not one second of forethought about the possibility of unplanned pregnancy all too quickly go to either a "pregnancy crisis" center or "planned parenthood" (how inaccurate is THAT name btw, as it's always filled with nothing BUT women with UNPLANNED pregnancies?) in help with making a decision on what to do with their pregnancies. In my experience, I can attest that BOTH places have an agenda, 'pregnancy crisis' will prey on your vulnerability and sense of morality for you to KEEP your baby, 'planned parenthood' for you to NOT. Once you are confirmed you are indeed pregnant, it is imperative for you to take some time to make this decision ON YOUR OWN. NO ONE on EARTH knows what's better for you than YOU. Don't place such power in the control of another no matter how well-intended they may be (or appear). Other people are all too eager to steer your opinions THEIR way, but they are never going to stand in for you when the consequence of your decision (whichever it may be) taps you on the shoulder & says 'hello'...They're just going to shrug and say "well, it's YOUR life!" YOU need to take stock of YOUR OWN life, where you are in it, whether you'd be able to PROPERLY provide for a child, mentally, emotionally, FINANCIALLY, etc. THEN go the pregnancy alterntive center that will best serve your decision and needs...NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND! As you might be coerced into making a decision you may later regret and can NEVER take back. You all have heard more than enough about women grieving their decision to terminate their pregnancies, but no one seems to give the OTHER side of the argument their fair share of attention: women who decided to KEEP their pregnancies and lived to REGRET IT!!! You can tune it out, change the subject and ignore it all you want, it's still exists...You KNOW THEY'RE OUT THERE, though oftentimes the women themselves don't have the courage to confess (even to themselves). Remember, THIS TOO is a consequence-filled decision you CAN'T EVER TAKE BACK! Again, you have to do what's right for YOU....Carefully weigh both possibilities yourself. Don't give that control to someone else.

As for me? When I was stupid enough to let myself get into that situation (YES I SAID STUPID! AND LET MYSELF! Women are much more in control of their fertility than they EVER care to realize. The fact that there are still "oops" pregnancies in THIS day in age is shameful), I took a different path entirely...I went to the local grocery and health food store and bought a series of herbs, minerals and vitamins (I won't disclose which here. If you wish, you can easily research it yourself as I did) and within 48hrs I miscarried without having to get an abortion procedure (which I DID NOT WANT!!) I knew as hard as I struggle (as it is) to make a life for myself, what I could provide for a child would be a sub-standard existance at best (among 1,000 OTHER REASONS why I don't want to have a kid). During the time I was starting to feel maybe I didn't have such a good idea, I reminded myself of these reasons and I felt assured and at peace again. It's been almost 2yrs now and my feelings haven't wavered since. I still know in my heart and mind, I made the right decision.

first of all abortions both good and badong[bad+wrong] one reason is the overpopulation which is good. and because you might never know who the baby will be the next president,the next micheal jackson he might even save the world from humans, how we destroy the planet and its future discusses me. he might even invent a new energy source or give us contacts to other life forms [wich i hope... infinete space and we are the only things that excist]. So stop compliaing, and worry about something else thats effecting the world something or get a job and work and actually do something about it. :-D