Hi, good people. My neighbor has down syndrome and I know that these kids do not live long. I was wondering how long life expectancy is for this condition. I am not a medical expert, so I don’t know any details. I hope someone will know to answer my post. Thanks in advance for answering.

Hello. Down syndrome is a genetic disorder where a patient has one chromosome more in the pair of 21. The prognosis used to be tough. I think that nowadays things are better. If we look at the fetuses in utero, 75% won’t be delivered to the world alive. They die during their intrauterine life. When we look at the babies and infants with Down syndrome, 15% will die before the age of 1. 35% will die before the age of 50. However, other 50% of babies and infants with this syndrome will be able to live more than age of 50. I hope you will find this helpful.

I work with adults that have special needs, most have down syndrome and are over the age of 30, i think the severity of the childs down syndrome effects the life span .