I am concerned about my sister. She is bipolar for many years now. However, she was telling me that she wants to have a baby. My question is about pregnancy in women who have this disorder. Is it dangerous for the fetus and what can she expect?

Bipolar disorder emerges during young adulthood and persists throughout entire life. Pregnancy and delivery can influence the symptoms of bipolar disorder, so the women of childbearing with bipolar are at risk. It is normal that you are concerned about your sister, and I would advise you to talk to her about your worries. See if she is well informed about all the risk factors, because bipolar women who are pregnant or have had a recent delivery have greater chances of recurrent episodes. Careful planning for pregnancy can help women with bipolar disorder manage their illness to minimize their symptoms. This way they will be able to avoid risks to the fetus. It is important to avoid sudden changes in medication during pregnancy. Such changes can increase side effects and risks to the fetus, and also increase the risk of relapse of the illness. Pregnant women with bipolar disorder are at particularly high-risk for recurrence in the postpartum period and the risk for depressive or mixed states is particularly high. Unfortunately, most of the medications used for bipolar disorder carry a high risk for the fetus, if taken by a pregnant woman in the early months.

its understandable that it would be concerning but there are ways that she can go about things and have a baby. some drugs are very toxic to a fetus but with careful planning with a doctor and psychiatrist there are drugs and ways to effectively and safely have a child for the mother and the child. i am bipolar so i understand what concerns you may have. just make sure she fully prepares herself for everything by taking the right steps toward planning.

cOOkiesNcr3am, Thank you so much for your post. I am on trileptal and Lexapro for my Bipolar II. My husband and I want to get pregnant and I am really nervous b/c it doesn't look like I will be going off my meds. Do you have any advice for the steps I should take before we get pregnant?