Hi. I am 16 years old and I suffer from ADHD. My Dad wan`t let me drive the car because I take Concerta. Why is that? I heard Ritalin is effective too and consider switching to that drug. What are warnings related to Concerta and Ritalin? Can I drive?

Hi. I am 18 years old. I was diagnosed with ADHD ages ago. I drive all the time. The most important stuff you should know about Concerta and Ritalin are to be careful when driving, operating some kind of machinery, or performing any other hazardous activity. Ritalin and Concerta can make you feel dizzy. They may cause blurred vision, impaired concentration or drowsiness so make sure you drive carefully. Don`t crush or chew – swallow the med with water or juice. Don`t use the mixture twice.

what would be the side effect of crushing it or chewing it before you take it?

Pretty much all drugs that mess with your brain chemistry have a warning about driving or operating heavy machinery while medicated, so that's probably why your dad doesn't want you driving. I used to take Adderall and it always made me more aware of the other cars around me and more alert to traffic signals. Without it, I sometimes felt like I was in a fog. Your dad might not be aware that sometimes attention deficit drugs can help people with ADD/ADHD to be better drivers.

I think Concerta is more closely related to Ritalin than anything else, and I read that Ritalin can sometimes make people feel more awake than they actually are, so there's a danger of someone thinking they're awake enough to drive but then falling asleep once they're on the road (trust me, it happens, and it's scary). So, if you're looking for something that it's ok to drive while taking, I'd ask your doctor about Adderall.

I am 17 and I have been driving for over a year and I take Concerta and Rittalin. I have not been in an accident so far and my only ticket was a parking ticket the first week. I think since you will be on your permit with your parents and already taking the medication it will help you by learning how to drive with the side-effects. You can make a deal with your dad that if you ever feel unsafe while driving you'll pull over and call him to pick you up. When I am more tired I notice that things sometimes get blurry, but other than that my brother says I drive safer on my Concerta! Have your dad discuss it with your doctor, but I suggest first discussing it with your doctor before hand and letting him know your dad's worries. Do your research and present the stats to your dad! Parents always like that type of stuff!!

Hey Im 17 and ive been taking concerta for like 3 weeks now, 36 mg, saved my school life, (ive been diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed concerta), and today was my first time driving home from school on my own. The drug usually wears off at like 9pm making me tired so that wasn't the problem, but i found that on the way home, I was only concentrating on the cars in front of me instead of my sides and behind me. Its like i was wearing blinders, tunnel vision. Its the same when I work, I kind of block out the distractions around me and focus entirely on the paper in front of me. So I think this had a similar effect on my driving. i cant really offer any advice other that to talk about your problem with your doctor, because this only happened to me today and I don't really know what to do.?