I found this website doing a search for "Causes of Salty Taste in the Mouth." I tried to reply to some of the other posts, but got the message that they were locked.

It seems that this is a problem many people suffer from. I have been going through this for a couple of years now. It comes and goes in cycles. I'll get this very Salty, Nasty Taste in my mouth, my lips taste salty, and I have fissures in my tounge. I haven't been able to find any answers for this. I don't smoke or drink, I drink enough fluids, but when I have this, nothing relieves it. Not brushing my teeth, mouthwash, and I have no oral issues. I practice good Dental Hygeine.

It is a really annoying problem, obviously not a severe one, but aggravating. Since I couldn't reply to any of the other threads I thought I'd start a new one.

Well it sounds like I also am going to join the salty mouth club.......out of no where did this symptoms appear, I researched on the computer and found that many suffer w/no explanation, what I am interested in know is what have happened to all the sufferers from 2005-2010?
I can only tell everyone that I have had many blood tests, seen my ENT, who does say I have sinus issues but cannot guarantee that him doing surgery will stop this problem...I am now going to see a Neuro? who knew, my Primary care has suggested he claims that the brain tells the mouth what to taste...idk....I will go and they will probably do an MRI or Cat Scan......and I have had some tell me that there may be no answer to my problem.....I will not accept this right now, it has been 6 weeks and I am on a mission. If I learn of anything new......besides, toothe paste, white strips, low zinc, dehydration, change in meds, phantom taste, cerebral leak, salivary gland problems.....I am sure I am missing something? I will let you know

Please let me know if you find out anything. Im a 54yr old female and have had this salty taste now for a year. It drives me crazy. I just brushed my teeth and my mouth is still salty. Especially after I eat its worse, so I have bought a celtic salt from the health food store and its still reacts the same way. I have really cut back on salt but it dosent change a thing. Please keep me posted. Thanks Debbie

Please let me know if I get a response. Thank you

please let me know if i get a response

I had the salty taste in my mouth for many months. I havebeen to my regular doctor, eyes, ear, and throat doctor, dentist, had a MRI, and have researched for months. Finally, after not taking any kind of medicine, vitamins, fish oil, or sodas...It has gone away! Tonight while listening to TV....I heard that fish oil can cause a change in taste. Maybe this is what caused mine. All I know is that it has been the most miserable condition that I have ever had. I'm finished with medications for cholesterol and fish oil because before these medications...I was fine!

Hi, I would really like to know what your brain dr says, please let me know. Thanks Grizzly

The stories are so familiar yet conflicting. The salty taste started with me about 3 weeks ago. I drink lot's of water, always have. Drink one cup of coffee every morning, always have. I stopped taking my cholesterol meds about the same time and thought maybe that was it ~ but someone just said she found relief after getting off of it (and fish oil). I did have amalgum fillings removed and replaced, 2 new crowns...We all sound like we've had some similar circumstances but also very different (like mine starting after stopping the meds and her's stopping after stopping the meds...) I'd almost rather live with this than go through the gambit of doctors and testing!

Quote:

pifcat2006 wrote:

Did you ever get resolution/answers for this? I am also suffering.
Thanks!

Did you ever get resolution/answers on this? I am suffering from the same. Had a recent CT scan and nothing showed. At a loss. Also have ear pain and have tried everything.

Thanks.

my wife had a salte taste in her mouth for amost a year i look up it all  but we fix it if you are haveing this problem you have a sinus problem you do not no you have it but she is all better now after antibiotics

I also had this problem when I ate a bag of steamers Veggies and it tasted like a bad bag full of salt.  It wasn't a little salty, it tasted like it was drenched in salt.  I got a really upset stomach so I had a peppermint and it tasted salty as well.  Then I noticed everything I tasted was salty.  I found this site with many pages of this topic.  Thought I'd share what I found out.  Had bloodwork and found out oddly enough I was low on sodium and chloride.  As well as magnesium.  I had already started probiotics which helped quite a bit but not totally.  So I have been on magnesium for 2 days and I changed our fancy salt back to iodized regular salt and the it's gone!  Whew.  Not sure if it was the magnesium, the sodium or the probiotics or all of them together but hope this helps someone else.                                               I would also point out that taking stomach acid blockers isn't always the right choice for many people.   There are many books on that subject and I've seen it mentioned several times on this thread.  You need stomach acid to digest food to get minerals and vitamins.  I know.. I found out after several ulcers and a bunch of docs that I had Pernicious Anemia and all those stomach acid blockers I had taken did way more damage than help.  I now actually take digestive enzymes to help digest food.  The book" Can It be B-12 " was a huge help to me . Anyone taking acid blockers needs to read up on the subject of what blocking that acid does to you.  It is the most over prescribed drug in America. 

Thank you for posting. Very helpful.

My salty mouth is caused by an autoimmune disorder called lichen planus. Nystatin and an antifungal antibiotics works for me but will come back. No actual cure but you might want to mention to dermatologist.

I am 52 and just started having the same problem. The taste comes and goes. I'm waiting for bloodwork results.