Hi, for the past few weeks I have had this strange salty feeling in my mouth. Nothing I tried could make it go away, I tried changing my diet, washing my mouth with water, alcohol, juice and nothing worked. I don’t know what to do about it, everything I eat has this ugly salty taste, even chocolate, sweets and cakes – it’s disgusting. I'm starting to dislike any kind of food and I'm starting to lose weight, I’ve lost about 6 lbs in the last week. I have been using Zanatrex diet pills, maybe that’s the reason? Help me please I'm really desperate.

Salty taste in your mouth could be caused by many factors and diseases. First possibility is that you became dehydrated because of the low fluid intake, the result of that is that your saliva in the mouth becomes thicker and a higher concentrations of salts that are usually contained in saliva produce a salty feeling in your mouth. Also if your fluid intake is normal but you are drinking caffeine rich beverages like coffee, Coca Cola or Pepsi you can also experience symptoms like the ones you described. You have mentioned that you are using Zanatrex, if that’s the case, taking Zanatrex with coffee increases your daily intake of caffeine which can produce a strong dehydration causing salty feeling in the mouth. You should quit coffee while taking Zanatrex and see if that helps. You didn’t mention if you have any other diseases except for being overweight, in case you do and the salty feeling in your mouth doesn’t disappear within few days you should talk to your doctor about this.

I have been also recently feeling salty feeling in my mouth, i smoke 20 cigs a day, and do not drink coffee, just a tea a day. can you pls advise, its been for 5 days now, and its strong salty feeling everywhere in my mouth, as if i have had a lot of salt.
pls advise.

I smoke 20 cigs a day, and have been having strong salthy feeling 24 hrs in my mouth, for last 5 days now. i dont drink coffee, just have 1 tea cup a day. i have recently been very stressed and have started smoking 20 cigs from 10 cigs a day. so will that feeling be becoz of that. i do not have any medical conditions.

I can sypathize with everyone but I have had the same affliction for 7 months and have been to two ENT docs, one from Mass General who, basically told me to have a nice life. The other doc was all over the board with supposed remedies but nothing works. If you ever find anything, let me know...

I've experienced this salty feeling in mouth frequently over the last few years and by experimentation and accident I know how to get rid of it. A bout with a stomach virus clued me in. During the time I had the virus, I cut out all food (except a slice of dry toast or two on the second day), and I cut out all beverages but pure ice-water, which I sipped every few minutes. By the end of the virus the salty feeling had completely gone away. When I resumed my normal diet and 3 cups of tea, one cup of coffee per day, the saltiness returned. I decided to cut back on the salty food, and drop down to just a couple of cups of tea per day, and bump up my water intake. The saltiness again subsided. It appears to all relate to a cycle of excess salt and dehydration. The more salt you take in, the more water you need to balance it, because salt absorbs water. The more caffeine you drink the more dehydrated you become, so you have less water to balance the salt. When the salt in our system is excessive, and we're not drinking enough water to flush it out, we end up trying to excrete it through bodily fluids like saliva. If you cut out salt for about a week, drink plenty of water and no caffeine (or sugary drinks---sugar ties up water as well), the saltiness should go away.

WELL, I USED TO use alkaline water for my health. Once my health got better, i stopped using it and then my mouth became salty all the time. I read somewhere on the net about trying water with lemon in it and then i realized that when i did drink water with lemon juice in it before i stopped, that i never had that problem with the salty taste in my mouth so i have gone back to drinking water with some lemon juice in it and guess what! it has disappeared again. You make water alkaline by adding a little lemon juice to it. I make it up by the pitcher and i just add some drops of lemon juice directly to the pitcher...i cant be as easy as this...but it is true. Water with lemon juice will clear up a salty taste in the mouth :-). if you need anymore help you can contact me at resourcelady63@gmail.com

I drink water everyday sometimes with a lemon. I rarely use salt. It seems like I'm back from the beach everyday. Could it be my toothpaste, the foods I am eating? It's just strange.