Hi. I am 24 years old. I have persistent salty taste in my mouth. It`s really weird. A friend of mine told me I may be pregnant. So I bought a home pregnancy test. The result was negative. But the salty taste is still here. What could be the cause of my problem? Anybody?

Hi. There a few thing that could explain your problem. A salty taste originates in your mouth, or brain. Smell and taste are very mixed up and many weird tastes are actually weird smells. Anyway, chemicals from your saliva may change in response to hydration. Maybe you don`t drink enough liquids. Maybe you are taking certain meds. Some meds can cause salty taste in your mouth. Salty taste may occur due to a salivary gland disease. Postnasal drainage can also be the cause of your problem. Tears are salty. When they enter the nasal cavity they drain down there and you can feel the salt. Maybe you are overproducing tears. That is, however, most unlikely.

Consider the possibility that you are being poisoned. Doctors always have some BS generalization about what it could be, but never check for the obvious - you've ingested a toxic substance that has as a symptom the taste of salt. If it goes on and on, it probably means you are continuing to ingest it. Perhaps that roommate is after your jewelry!

I just freshly aquired the salty taste. In my case It is obvious where it came from.
I have never had it. Now I went to dentist to put a couple of crowns. As soon as he put temporary (metal) crowns I got the taste. I told him about it when he replaced them with porcelain ones. He replied that it must;ve been the medicine. Well, it has been a month now and I still have it. I suspect that eigher the crowns do not have all the right metals in them or they are not fit right and there is a contact of saliva with the dental cement.
Did you do any dental work recently?

I just aquired the salty taste in my mouth. In my case It was obvious where it came from. I have never had it before. I went to a dentist to put a couple of crowns. As soon as he put temporary (metal) crowns I got the taste. I told him about it when he replaced them with porcelain ones. He replied that it must've been the medicine. Well, it has been over a month now and I still have it. I suspect that eigher the crowns do not have all the right metals in them or they are not fit right and there is a contact of saliva with the dental cement.
Did you do any dental work recently?

What ended up being why you had the salty taste because I've noticed a lot today that it has happened to me.

I posted this in another discussion, but will post it here to try and help others....
for me it was dental work. I had a temp crown put in, then the crown fell out and I got the horrible salt taste, like licking a salt block. I had the temp put back in and it fell out again. this time I left it out, and cleaned up all of the temp glue from around the tooth...each day the salty taste got better or less intense! My new crown is in and no salty taste! The only thing I can think of is that it was the temp glue that they used that my mouth didnt like. I hope this helps someone with recent dental work expiriencing the salty taste.

Hi, I am not a doctor but had the same problems and didnt find anyone that really had a answer for what the salty taste was in my mouth. So I figured I would post what worked for me and maybe it would help someone else. I actually had a soapy salty taste in my mouth. I went to numerous doctors and even the dentist to try and get a answer. It was after I went to the dentist (who was not able to help me either) that it clicked. He had told me that usually when you have soapy salty taste in your mouth it comes from your sinuses. So if you do have sinus problems or have had them in the past that probably is what the problem is. That was when the light bulb came on for me because I do have allergies and do have sinus problems. What worked for me was I used a NETi pot 2 times a day for 2 days and it went away. Even after the very first time I used the Neti pot I noticed a huge difference in the taste in my mouth. So it is worth going to the drugstore and picking up a Neti Pot and trying it out. It beats paying all the co-pays and lab work and the Netipot is only about $15.00 at your local drugstore. It was driving me crazy having that taste in my mouth and nothing tasted right. Its definitely worth the $15.00 to try it out. Good Luck!

Thank you, Debjoy  Bach,, I will try that and let you know. A little hope!

This may seem hard to believe but I too had a salty taste that developed in my mouth and lasted for nearly a month. It tasted like I had a mouth full of ocean water everyday, it was terrible. So I found this very website and started reading each comment on here until I came to nearly the end and found a fellow who started talking about his toothpaste. Well it turned out he was using the very same toothpaste as I was using (Crest whitening with Scope) and when he changed toothpaste his salty taste was gone in three days. So I tried his suggestion to change toothpaste and sure enough I noticed it easing up after 24 hours then it was completely gone within 3 days. And I had been using this toothpaste for a few years with no problems previously. So it may take time to build up in your system. All I know is it is gone now! What a relief to not have that awful taste anymore. So I would suggest trying a different toothpaste even if you are not using the Crest whitening with Scope.

What about the sinus rinse instead? this taste of salt is driving crazy.