This post is an extension of the

Bitter taste in mouth after eating thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I have eaten the Trader Joe's pine nuts too, and have experienced the same symptoms as everybody else. I am surprised that it is taking them so long to stop selling them. I sent them an email, and I am curious to see if/what they reply.

wow, i also ate pine nuts about 5 days ago, i bought them by weight, after couple of days i noticed the bitter taste in my mouth after eating food ( espasialy sweets). thank you all for those postings, i was getting very worry, i thoght something serius was going on in my body. it is 3rd day and i stiil have bitter taste, i am trying to drink mineral water alot and eat oatmeal and boiled potates, when i eat those the taste seems to decrease. i wiil post again once the bitter taste is completly gone. ;-)

I started eating pine nuts by the handful 2 days ago. I read on the internet that it can help lower cholesterol. I'm trying everything so that I do not have to take the statin that was prescribed to me by my doctor so that the pharmaceutical companies could get richer. Thought the bad taste was coming from my teeth, acid reflux or that I might had a brain tumor or something. When I came to this site and read that pine nuts could be causing this I was absolutely thrilled. Who would have thought! Good luck to everyone who is having this bitter problem.

I am so happy to find out what is wrong with me, my wife actually called poison control yesterday. Pine nuts are so tasty though...

OOH! This makes me feel so much better! I thought there was something wrong with me.

Unfortunately, my parents being the stubborn, dense mules that they are do not believe that pine nuts are the cause of the bitter taste in my mouth. They think it's from the fish oil, zinc and folic acid supplements I am taking. 8-|

But I digress, it's good to know what the REAL cause of it is.

It's odd, though, because I've had pine nuts before, and I've never noticed the bitterness.

Anyways, thanks!

Oh, i'm so glad i've read all this. I've had this taste and its horrid, I was starting to panic a bit but now feel much better.
I did eat pinenuts 4 days ago so hope it is that and it goes back to normal soon.
Thanks everyone.

Goodness.
I have had this taste in my mouth since yesterday, & I too ate pine nuts 2 days ago.
Happily no one else in my family seems affected.
It came on very quickly, & I do hope it passes soon.................

I agree, thank God for this forum. I Googled "bitter taste in mouth after eating" and fortunately landed here (on the first thread).

I had some pine nuts a few days ago which I had purchased from Costco a few months ago, although I seem to recall eating a few from that bag every now and then, and not having the strange bitter taste at the back of my tongue and throat.

I did, however, eat some of the Costco (Kirkland) Pesto sauce two days ago, and that is also made from Pine Nuts. Now I'm not sure which is the culprit, but I suppose they should both be tossed out.

How long have the symptons persisted for everyone? Mine is going on three days.

What have you all done or taken to alleviate the problem? I thought I read that some are taking Acidophylous and other things. What works to fix this?

HELP!

I also am suffering this bitter after taste syndrome. This is my third day and I don't specifically eating pine nuts but did have some yogurt called Liberte that mixes in grain that seem to taste pine nutty into the yogurt (bought the yogurt at a supermarket in New Jersey). Since then, I've had this gross after taste. The after taste is slightly less now but is still very acute when I eat sweet foods.

Spicy our sour food (ie lemon or vinegar dressings) seem to do much better. Also, I recommending chasing each bite quickly with a glass of water/seltzer, which almost makes the experience feel normal. I'm hopeful that this thing disappears soon but it definitely sucks.

From Germany:

Same problem, bitter/soapy taste in the back of the tongue.

Started 1 day after eating TOASTED pine nuts (a hand full)

Pin nuts : Toasted with no oil, just in the pan.

Bought in a shop for biological food in Germany

My two girlfriends who ate with me approx. the same amount have no symptoms

I haven´t eaten pine nuts for years (at least I don´t remember)

I´m not allergic to anything

I presume:
1) maybe it happened to me because of my genetic disposition (though not very probable)
or
2) maybe it was just one or two pine nuts that were affected with something and I ate those.

Symptoms seem to get a little better - this is my 4th day

I´m also very happy to have found this forum and the article in wikipedia

In German language there is not so much to be found (just one single report in a forum)

It's been a week since my first experience of the bitter taste.

The bitter taste is STILL there, diminishing, but detectable.

Has anyone figured out if this is genetic, a bad batch of pine nuts, or something else?

Oh.. man.

So happy to have found this thread..

Myself & my sous-chef have had this problem all day & were going NUTS (no pun intended) trying to figure out what was wrong.. we usually snack on pine nuts (ingredient for one of our salads) all day long.. just got in a new kind (that were shorter & from china!) that is definitely the culprit!

Also, please note the previous posters comments... this seems to only fully affect those with an "O type" blood!

After reading the full thread, we did an experiment with one of our servers.. she willingly ate a large handful of the nuts.... nothing happened. She's an a type blood while we (those affected) are both O's.

What a bizarre reaction!!!! And since neither of us want to taste food right now.. I pity our customers for the next week... :-(

I too have this awful after taste in my mouth. I am O Negative. I had pine nuts for the first time in a couple of months a few days ago. They tasted fine when I ate them but a few days later OMG it's awful, really really awful. Glad to know what's causing it though.