I am having severe pain in the urethra about every couple of seconds. It came on all of the sudden. What could this be?

My first guess is that you may be in the process of passing kidney stones. My second guess is urethritis, an inflammation caused by a bacterium or a virus. Drink lots of cranberry juice and see a doctor as soon as possible.

I agree, urethritis is what it sounds like! Urethritis is an inflammation of the urethra. This is the tube that carries urine and semen through the penis and forms the opening at the end of the penis.

Men between ages 20-35 are most at risk for developing pain with urination, as are men who have multiple sexual partners or those who engage in high-risk behaviors such as not using condoms or anal intercourse.

Urethritis may be caused by the same germs that cause urinary tract infections (also called bladder infections), and the symptoms may be similar.