I have been reading that urethritis is an inflammation of the urethra. This is supposed to be a tube that carries urine out of the body. One friend of mine told me urethritis is usually caused by a sexually transmitted infection, which I cannot believe. Could you tell me is that true, or cause could be something else. I would also like to hear what treatment to cure urethritis is.

It is true that urethritis could be caused be sexually transmitted infection. However, much less often, it is the result of an injury from an instrument such as a urinary catheter. In some cases, cause is exposure to an irritating chemical such as an antiseptic or a spermicide. Doctors usually classify sexually transmitted urethritis into two categories, first one is gonococcal urethritis, caused by gonorrhea bacteria, and second is nongonococcal urethritis, caused by bacteria other than gonorrhea. The main symptoms of urethritis are pain or burning during urination and an urge to urinate more frequently then usually. Another symptom of urethritis is redness around the opening of the urethra. Men with gonococcal urethritis also often have a yellow discharge from the urethra, which is not common for women patients. Women are less likely to have symptoms from sexually transmitted infections such as gonorrhea and Chlamydia, so it is the same for urethritis. Infectious urethritis can be treated with a variety of antibiotics, but since certain strains of bacteria have become resistant to specific antibiotics, doctor may need to prescribe a different antibiotic. It is especially done if symptoms continue after patient has finished taking the first prescription.