Hi, I'm 33 years old, lately while ejaculating or urinating I have this weird itching sensation in my urethra. It starts from the bottom of my penis and it slowly takes over the entire penis all the way to the top. It is very annoying, and while urinating, when it starts I just cannot stop the urination so it’s a living hell for me. I don’t have any unusual penile discharge, none that I noticed anyway, I'm totally healthy, I'm not taking any other meds and I am not in any kind of therapy for any other disease. I'm in a relationship with my girlfriend, and none of us ever had a problem with any of the STD’s. Did I catch something?

The symptoms that you have described above are common for many both sexually transmitted diseases and many others. Itchy urethra is usually a sign of urethral or prostatic inflammation of some kind, possible causes can include bacterial, viral or fungus infections. As I understood you only had sex with your girlfriend and no one else the whole time, if she doesn’t have any STD’s then there’s no reason you should have one. If you had unprotected anal sex it is possible that you have an infection caused by intestinal bacteria E. Coli. It’s not my intention to interfere in your personal life or to question your relationship with your girlfriend but it is possible that she had sex with someone and that she brought some kind of a disease on to you. You should be tested for sexually transmitted diseases like gonorrhea, Chlamydia or syphilis just in case. The treatment of such conditions depends on the type of bacteria and many other factors but you will be probably given an antibiotic like vibramycin. This little information you gave me is not enough for me to give you some concrete advice. The only sure advice I can give you is that you and your girlfriend should definitely have a talk with your doctor about this matter since if left untreated it can cause many unwanted and unnecessary problems.

I have a mild version of what 'pritt' has described. My urethra is itchy intermittently and its feels better when i try to 'scratch' the itch by compressing my penis. During urination it also 'scratches' the itch.

I had unprotected sex with a woman and then sex with another woman 3 weeks later - it was the next morning is when i noticed the itch. Both woman claim to not have had any sexual relations within at least 30 days. The sex was vaginal and there was no oral the 2nd time. I passed a routine medical screening that included an HIV test last week, conducted after sex with the 1st woman but before the 2nd.

I do intend to see my doctor regarding this for safety. Is there any way of finding out if I contracted it from them? I am a very clean person so I am not inclined to assume it just happened, but I do live in a house with 2 dogs and 3 cats so there is potential for something from their paws to have made it into my bed maybe... I dont know - I'm a designer, not a medic.

Thanks for your thoughts.
BTW, 'pritt' have you resolved your issue? If yes,what was the case?

Hi there Lance!

It is highly unlikely that you have caught something from your animals. However, there is a very big possibility that you have caught something from the women, but it doesn’t have to be like that. However, you did notice the problem the next morning, right? STDs can be caught by oral sex as well. In chlamidia, there is an itchy urethra, and this is one of the most common stds. Or yeast infection….causes itchy penile irritation (balanitis) and is usually not sexually transmitted. It could be some of the prostatic inflammation like Pyburn said. There could be many things but nothing from the claws of your animals.

I have the same problem with the itchy urethra and it is also hard to urinate. Physically hard. It does not burn and I do not have any secretion from my penis. I went to the doctor and I had increased Leu's and a trace of blood in my urine. He put me on an antibiotic for 4 weeks, assuming it is an inflammation of my prostate. Would you concur?

Hey all,
The very same description of the itching in the urethra fits my problem as well. I've had unprotected sex with my girlfriend several times and there was never a problem. However, the last time we did it, the next morning, i had that itchy feeling. It can only be "scratched" when you squeeze the penis. I went to the doctor and he put me on antibiotics for a week, however, it hasn't cured anything. The feeling went away for a few days, but now it's back. It's very annoying. I'm leaning towards chlamydia.

" have a mild version of what 'pritt' has described. My urethra is itchy intermittently and its feels better when i try to 'scratch' the itch by compressing my penis. During urination it also 'scratches' the itch. "

I have this exact same thing, but have stayed abstinent my whole life, including oral sex. I'm hoping this rules out the STDs. Does this mean I have an inflammed prostate, intestinal bacteria, or a yeast infection? Thanks for your help.

i also have the itchy urethra problem that everyone else has, but if i don't have sex regularly, ejaculations tend to be painful. plus i'm having alot of cloudy urine lately. what could this be?

i am in the EXACT same situation. i just got back from 14 month deployment to afghanistan this april and i have been with 6 women since then.... condoms sometime but when it comes down to it i have been with each of them at least once per without protection. felt as healthy as a horse all the way up until 2 days ago when i had sex with my now girlfriend, unprotected, and next morning woke up and it was itching like mad and itched that whole day. just the very tip maybe like a centimeter down inside. at the head. it felt good to grind it between my finger and thumb to stop the itching. but yeah what's the deal with this? you just wake up magically with severe symptoms of something? the itching has subsided for the time being but it comes in and out periodically. i actually believe i may have had slight itchiness there before while i was in afghanistan but nothing worth mentioning and nothing that required my immediate scratching to stop the problem. i also get really bad itchy anus sometimes too... but i have no bumps liasons cuts or anything and i whipe with baby whipes so i keep clean. it's not leftover feces, that's for sure. i think i may have some type of bacterial or fungal infection from overseas? but now with the addition of the itchy urethra i was worried about an STD until just now when i thought about the anus too. have never had anal sex, i am completely heterosexual. please get back to me with some possibilities here. i am going to the health clinic on monday to get tested for STD's but i'm also in the military and they test our blood constantly, so i know i have nothing viral. i'll check back for a response.

i have also been suffering from itchiness and it can only be scratched by squeezing the penis down i think i caught it from my girl friend ( soon to be ex if that is the case) i reckon its chlamydia i am going to book a check up tomorrow and see what they say.

I would never second guess a doctor who has examined you and made a determination.

He's put you on an antibiotic for 4 weeks. Has that expired now?

How do you feel? Did it work?

I would return to the doc if you have more questions.

I would only be guessing.

MAY I INSERT HERE HOW REALLY UNWISE THIS IS... NEED I POINT OUT THE COMPLICATED, IMPOSSIBLE TO TRACK DOWN SITUATION THAT YOU HAVE PARTICIPATED IN? I HATE TO RAG, BUT YOU KNOW BETTER.

I'd like to also point out that anal sex does NOT make one gay. You have an itchy anus. You've been with six different women without protection.

No one is questioning your orientation. You've stated that you're completely hetero. Why does this matter? You've got something that itches.

I'd like to know what your health clinic visit today turned up. If you're being tested, what did they find?

'm a 46 year old male and I recently had unprotected sex where the woman I had intercourse with could discharge a lot of fluid during sex. Shortly after a day or so I noticed a slight itch just inside the tip of the penis. I was worried about an STD and went to the urologist. The urine test came back negative but the doctor had started me on Doxycycline for 10 days. The condition did not go away, He gave me two more medications and the condition has not gone away. I went back for a second urine test and that also came back negative for any STD's
Recently I thought it was starting to fade away and resurfaced stronger. The itch at the beginning was sporadic and was not that strong now it is more constant and stronger. it sometimes occurs after ejaculation.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
thank you

I had/have a very similar situation and went to my university's health center. STD test came back negative and when I asked the doctor what is causing it he said most likely it is just prostate inflammation which can easily be caused by either lack of citris(aka drink more citris juice), or over consumption of alcohol. I go to college and probably drink too much alcohol and not enough orange juice, so I'm assuming that's it and is probably the case for some/many of you.

So, I have an interesting Dilemma. I'm 19. I had sex once when I was twelve years old. Now I've been going out with this girl for 2 months, and we decided we could have unprotected sex.....5 days and 31 times later.......Now I have an itchy Urethra which can only be scratched, as most of the people on here say by squeezing.

I'm not sure she has any symptoms, and nothing else has appeared for me, but I've been just a little paranoid because I had to go with my friend to the clinic today so he could get tested.

I know that she's been faithful to me since we started, and she hasn't had unprotected sex with anyone else. Owing to the other case with my friend, my own mum dished out her knowledge of the facts and those were that the bacteria is a natural occurrence in the woman. She reckons a lot of sex can stir it up and cause it to happen, but is this true?

And if the above is a lie, then how do I go about telling my girlfriend of two months that she's given me Chalmydia because she's lied to me about something. (I don't think it's cheating. have a feeling I know where it came from if I have it.)

....Oh, and she discovered she....to be perfectly blunt....she seems to enjoy the back door being penetrated. Is there maybe something else entirely that I should be looking at that revolves around unprotected - OH GOD!

Ok. I think I just answered my own question....Bear with me here, as it's only one interpretation of events. Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and I promise not to take too much more.

In the week that she broke up with her last boyfriend, she paid a visit to her ex before him. Now, she's admitted to having anal with this guy before, and I believe that he may not have used protection. He's what my friends and I call a "man-s***" essentially he has countless sexual partners, and nobody except him knows when or even if he uses condoms. I have a feeling that she may have caught it from him and it may have transferred to me through that kind of contact......

The other thing is, I have sort of left the door open on our relationship a little. I've let her have one female casual sex partner because I can't be there for her seven days a week. Is it possible that she caught it from her? As far as I know, her partner's a virgin to men and she kind of picks her women very carefully, so I find it slightly less likely.