I have read that Chlamydia trachomatis is a bacterium that can cause a sexually transmitted infection. What scared me is that Chlamydia infection is very common among young adults and teenagers. I have also read that many people do not know that they have Chlamydia, so I want to know how to recognize its symptoms. I would like to hear how doctor could check this and what I should do if I catch Chlamydia. Is there some good treatment procedure to cure this infection?

Chlamydia is common problem because although persons are infected, they may not have any symptoms. About 75% of infected women and half of infected men have no symptoms of Chlamydia, which is the main problem. First, you have to understand that the chance of becoming infected with Chlamydia can be reduced by avoiding risky sexual behaviors. Good advice is to use latex or polyurethane condoms during sex, and limit your number of sex partners. If you have recently been treated or are being treated for Chlamydia infection, you must make sure your sex partner also receives treatment. This should be done in order to prevent being infected again. Sex partners should receive treatment even if they do not have any symptoms, because as I said, infected person may not have symptom at all. A variety of laboratory tests can be used to diagnose Chlamydia infection, and these tests are done with either a urine sample or a sample obtained from a woman's cervix or a man's urethra. Chlamydia can be easily treated and cured with antibiotics, as well as treatment for gonorrhea. You should also avoid having sex while being treated, to reduce the chances of getting the infection again or transmitting it to someone else.