hi im an 18 yr old male. although ive never noticed asthma in the past recently ive been very short of breath also chest pains every now and then. even when excercising. also very anxious and some panic attacks every now and then. I had a pulminary function test twice so far and both came out good also had a heart CT scan and a 24 hr EKG to rule out cardiac disorders. had a blood test so no anemia. I was diagnosed with a very minor stomach ulcer, dunno if that would do anything. SO my question is can a PFT completely rule out asthma? it REALLY feels like i have it. although i do not notice myself weezing ever. what else could this be? This shortness of breath is 24/7 all the time never stops and has been like this for a few months. very unpleasant please give me some advice on what other tests i can get or experiences you've had with your shortness of breath.

You can still have asthma and pass the pulmonary function tests. I have been in the same boat for the past month so no what you mean although I didn't do as well on the PFT. Came up with mild asthma although I feel like about 1/4 of my breathing capacity is gone. Have you measured your peak flow? Go out and buy a PeakFlow monitor and see how much air you are breathing out to see how normal it is. I would also go and get another opinion because shortness of breath can be horrible to deal with. It could also get worse if left untreated. I would ask if you could get on an inhaler for a short period to see if there is an improvement. If you are responding that would mean you probably are asthmatic.