i have chest pains on the left side and this has been going for a month. after the pain occurs i feel my chest being heavy and then i start to have a shortness in breath. could anyone pls tell wats the cause of this.  

Hi James,

At 17 it would be unusual for it to be cardiac but with the shortness of breath it is important that it be checked and ruled out.

You're going to need to see your doctor.  Describe in detail what happens, when it happens, if anything seems to make it better or worse, how long it lasts, etc.

They should be able to rule out the heart quickly.  It could be a muscle spasm or even a bronchial spasm.

Keep us posted.  Good luck.

This possible can be a panic attack.

When you have a panic attack, your heart starts to race.

But the thing about it hurting, you must have hurt it some-how, but for I know, it's not caused by anything inside you're body. I'm sure it's not you're lungs and other orgins either.

i also have to add i do feel tht my recent smoking could also be a cause of this... but i have only had less than 5 for a month, so could this be the cause of my pains?

Hi James,

Yes, smoking can aggravate (make worse) your situation. Your symptoms do fit a bronchospam and the smoking can definitely be a cause.

Give up smoking and see what happens. It can also be an allergic reaction, or could be related to an asthmatic condition. See your doctor if it continues.