Hello everybody. I used to smoke about half a pack a day for about 6 to 7 years.i recently quit smoking cold turkey back on Nov. 09 2013 and havent smoked a cigarette since. I went through alot of withdrawal symptoms such as strong cravings, head aches, and I even fell ill right after quitting. What scared me alot was at night as I was falling asleep, I felt like I forget to breath no matter which way I tried to sleep (on my side, stomache, back) then i would wake up gasping for air, but that only lasted a couple of days after quitting. But since I quit I have had shortness of breath on and off, it doesnt feel as bad as it did right after I quit but it is still really bothersome and it gets in the way of everything. It feels like it goes away somedays and other days its there but not that bothersome. My question is, is shortness of breath normal to have almost 3 months after quitting? When can this be expected to stop? Also im slightly dizzy sometimes and I have a faint wheeze when I exhale slowly. this has all got me scared and ive read posts on the web about people with shortness of breath after quitting but alot of posts say they have it within couple of weeks after smoking, im worried because I still have shortness of breath almost 3 months in. please help and thank you in advance.

This seems to be normal and I think brought on by anxiety. I quit over 7 months ago and still have this issue. not as bad as it was 3 or 4 months ago but still comes on here and there. hang in there it will get better over time. It take awhile for the body and mind to heal. I smoked for 25 years so I'm in for a long haul. Don't be surprised if you get a bit depressed as well. Eat right take vitamins and exercise will help a great deal. Here is a good link about this read all the posts and it will make you fell better..Good Luck

https://www.steadyhealth.com/Shortness_of_breath_after_stopping_smoking_t160762.html

https://www.steadyhealth.com/Quit_smoking_a_year_ago___sick_ever_since__t85171.html

I quit 10 weeks ago tomorrow jan 1 2015 so this normal to be shortness of breath I smoke for 39 years.