I have flattening of the cord and severe foraminal stenosis in c4/c5. I have a disc osteophyte ridge in c5/c6/. IU am in pain all the time even with heavy meds. Will surgery help or not?

cabissell,

listen to your doctor. Only you and him can decide. I would say yes, have the surgery. I r3emember how I felt at your stage and it is worth a try. I had the same thing but one more level than you.

Good luck and keep us posted, we will be very happy to help you through this.
Rob

pain meds do not help pain in the spinal cord. most doctors only give the pain meds just to help you get thru it. but there is no pain med that will stop the pain when its coming from a nerve. my husband had to have the surgery....if you have mild bulging, i would consider waiting...maybe. doc told my hubby on a scale from 1/10 his stenosis was a 10. meaning, he had to have the surgery or be paralyzed. because there was so much crushing on the spinal cord...surgery was going to be tricky because the surgeon wasnt going to have any room. less severe cases...the surgeon has room to get inbetween the the bone or disc and the spinal cord. It was crushing his spinal cord so bad..it had already caused perminent damage to parts of his spinal cord. that is the risk in waiting. with him, they went thru the back first...and shaved bone off. it didnt work...so, they did the fushion. Hes only 3 weeks in from the surgery...so, we don't know yet how much he will recover....his numbness in his right hand is getting better. BUT, ONCE AGAIN....THERE IS NOTHING THAT WILL RELIEVE NERVE PAIN. JUST TAKE THE MEDICATION...SO YOU DONT CARE...BASICALLY. AND IT HELPS HIM TO SLEEP.