Hello. I'm 22 year old female and I'm really worried about my mother. About three years ago she was diagnosed with terrible skin disorder called psoriasis. She has these red and white patches all around her body especially on hers ankles, elbows and knees.
Anyway, just recently, in her room I have bumped on one medication called Methotrexate and it confused me and frightened me in the same time. If I'm right- I have heard somewhere that this drug is used to treat cancer not psoriasis. My mother didn’t tell me anything! You can imagine how terrified I'm right now.
Please tell me that my mother didn’t develop cancer or anything similar!

Hello. First I would like to tell you that you shouldn’t panic because there is no cause! This is all about one misunderstanding.
You were right- this Methotrexate is used to treat cancer but not only cancer- but also psoriasis, inducing miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy or any other condition associated with abnormally rapid cell growth.
Methotrexate belongs to the group of medicines known as antimetabolites and to be more precise- it blocks an enzyme needed by the cell to live.
That’s why this is very good drug used in many diseases to kill the rapidly growing cells.
You see, you have nothing to be worried about.